Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage conrolled switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliamN

I just built a charger circuit and capacitor bank for my coil gun. The charger takes 12v dc and charges my cap bank in about 5 seconds. Cap bank is 15 capacitors @ 330uf/450v. The thing charges them so fast I want to build a circuit that can shut the charger off as soon as the caps reach 450V. How would I go about this? I thought of using a comparator with a voltage divider. And the output of the comparator going to a normally on transistor at +12v in point in the charging circuit. Because of the high voltage and current I really don't know how I should wire it up. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. I included a graphic to show what I am thinking.

Attachments

• Comparator_question.gif
    Comparator_question.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 577
William this can be done in a few ways, but it would be helpful to know the specifics of the charging circuit. 12VDC in and ? out. Is it a switching supply? At these voltages and stored charges , You want to be careful what You do The best at overcharging you can expect is a lot of smoke and some expensive caps that are trash, the worst ..well not good. Normally regulating circuits are based on current draw of the load.
I assume that your using a DC V at higher then the rating of the caps , hence the quick charge.
More info would help

WilliamN said:
I just built a charger circuit and capacitor bank for my coil gun. The charger takes 12v dc and charges my cap bank in about 5 seconds. Cap bank is 15 capacitors @ 330uf/450v. The thing charges them so fast I want to build a circuit that can shut the charger off as soon as the caps reach 450V. How would I go about this? I thought of using a comparator with a voltage divider. And the output of the comparator going to a normally on transistor at +12v in point in the charging circuit. Because of the high voltage and current I really don't know how I should wire it up. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. I included a graphic to show what I am thinking.

An idea..
1) use an optocoupler that on the diode input side has several 100V zener diodes in series with a resistor. When the capacitors reach 450V, the zener diodes conduct and a little bit of current flows through the input diode (limited by the resistor)

2) The output of the opto will go to a simple circuit that drives your series pass transistor in the charging path. This signal could force your transistor to cutt-off.

Cap charger

Yes I did that,(approx 450v output) but it took too long to charge my cap banks. I have multiple 15 capacitor cap banks. My charger needed to be able to charge all four of them. Right now Its just charging one for experimental reasons. Hence the 5 second time. I am sure the time will go up when I hook up all the banks. They will all be isolated from each other as each bank will power a seperate coil.
I want each cap bank will get a voltage controll mechanisim. Once all four banks stop drawing current from the charger it will then shut off. And I'm ready to fire. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back