Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage divider 12v>5v

Status
Not open for further replies.

zebbedee

Hi,i am a complete novice when it comes to making electronic circuits so require some help,i am reasonable at soldering though so hopefully will be able to make a circuit.

I need to know how to make OR where to buy a voltage divider which could be made to make an old style car rev counter(12v) work with a newer engine(5v),these things are available to buy i have been told but the price is quite high for something that i have been told is relatively simple.

Its a while back now but the item i saw only had 4 wires coming out of it,

1, switched 12v
2, ground
3, rev counter output
4, >to vehicle rev counter

can anyone help?

Two resistors will make a "voltage divider":

Attachments

• DF42.png
    DF42.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 213
Two resistors will make a "voltage divider":

ok thanks for the reply,are those the correct sized resistors i would need? and with me being a complete novice on this how would i get the 4th 'output' with the circuit you have given in the picture ie i need 1, switched 12v 2, ground 3, rev counter output 4, >to vehicle rev counter would the rev counter output be the 'in' and the 'out' go to the rev counter which requires the 12v?sorry i just find this kind of thing hard to take in

I misunderstood due to the bogus title you put on this thread. You have an OLD Tach and a NEW car, therefore you need to amplify the the amplitude of the pulse train.

This circuit does what you need. Total Cost ~$1. Pinout for the 2N3904. The circuit has four connections, too. :D

Attachments

• DF42.png
    DF42.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back