Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage regulator draw at no load

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGCB

I'm building a video trail cam with an unused VCR camcorder. I have the motion detector (peizo removal tread a week ago) and timing circuit compleat. I was planning on getting 6 volts from a 12 volt car battery with a LM350k regulator. When the camera is off, the total draw is less than 30 mA. The camera draws 1.8 amps according to the wall adapter. I could use a 6 volt battery but these are not so easy to come by cheap and the original camcorder battery is shot. Will there be wasted power or heat at the low current draw. Is there a better way to get 6 volts. Your thoughts and advice are appreciated.

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to use a 6V sealed lead acid battery.

You should use 3A fuse or PTC resistor (poly switch/fuse) to protect against a short circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back