W1209 temperature controller not working

derekoak

Hi
The w1209 sensor is designed to show LLL on its 3 part display if the NTC sensor is not plugged in. This happens, but when the sensor is plugged in the display should show the temperature but now shows - - -. My continuity meter across the contacts of the sensor, when out of the w1209, shows just over 10 ohms at an ambient 23 C. Does anyone know what the - - - signifies?
As background, I made a diy lithium battery with Chinese cells 4 years ago. It has 8 cells in 2 sets of 4 cells making parallel13v batteries, recently I realised that at least one of my Daly battery management systems (bms) had died, so I took the batteries apart and replaced both bms with jk bms. The batteries now work again. At the moment we are in Austria and it is hot, but my problem is that my battery heating system depends on a w1209 temperature sensor which at the moment does not work. For 4 years if the batteries were below 5C I would switch a switch to activate the temperature circuit, the w1209 would come on and show the temperature of its probe. If it was below 5C the w1209 would illuminate a relay light, it would activate a more powerful relay and send 12Amps of current to 4 heater pads between pairs of cell in the battery. When the battery reached 9C the w1209 relay would switch off. The Bms would allow charging from my solar and the engine above 8C
It is possible that I damaged the w1209 sensor as I had to disconnect the sensor from the w1209 to get the heavy battery out of the car and that left an extended sensor probe wire trailing as I unthreaded it from the car to carry the battery to a workbench to disassemble.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…