want a Fixed 5% duty cycle, 12v input 50hz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most selenoids I have work with are ON or OFF. Do you have a scope you can drop on it?

You should be able to do it with a 555 timers and FET, or a PIC and FET.. You are sure it is a selenoid? Do you know the frequency you want it send to it?

mramos1 said:
Most selenoids I have work with are ON or OFF. Do you have a scope you can drop on it?

You should be able to do it with a 555 timers and FET, or a PIC and FET.. You are sure it is a selenoid? Do you know the frequency you want it send to it?

50hz. It goes on and off very quicly with the frequency pulse.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**
(search for 555 on the page; this is probably cloest to what you want except the freq speed is 1HZ)

O.K. I measured amps with a 250 mA meter and it pegged it all the way, but did not blow the fuse in the meter.

After looking into the above links this is my thinking: I need two 555 timers. the first to set the frequency. I believe I can use two resitors, R1 @
7 khm: , R2 @ 400 khm: to set the frequency to 50hz using the first timer. Then use that signal to trigger the second timer through two more resitors to set the duty cycle at 5% or perhaps variable. I haven't figured out those values yet.

Am I on the right track? What effect will potentially higher Amp demands have? My resitor figures are from memory as I wrote them down when I calculated don't have them on me.

The last link in my last post gave you a 1Hz circuit (last link in the post), with 2 diodes to allow the 555 to change the duty cycle. Did you try making that and change the frequency to 50Hz? That sounds like what you are after.

I am affraid the math requried is beyond my knowledge. I am not sure of how to change the frequency. I haven't built anything yet. I am waiting till I can flesh out a good design and then buy/build everything.
How do the diodes let you change the dutycycle? I am begining to feel this is over my head. I am confident I could physically build the circuit. But I am less than confident in my ability to design it. could I simply change some resitor values to get the 50hz? would the rest of the circuit stay the same? I need someone to give me values to use or at least a good formula, as I don't think I am knowledgeable enough to rely on my math.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…