Wanted: Simple voltage-actuated switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

table

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure this is easy but I'm not experienced enough to actually know how to do it:

I want to remotely monitor the charging of a 12V battery using a digital output that I have available. My idea is when the battery is charging it will see >13V and when it is not charging it will see <13V. So, I'd like the digital output to go high at >13V and low at <13V. This circuit will be powered by the same 12V battery it's measuring so current use should be minimal, particularly when the battery's not charging.

If my battery is charging, I would expect to see the digital signal go high and if it is not, I would expect to see low. (I imagine ~5V would be sufficient to trigger the digital high; ~12V would be good.)

I've been reading about crowbars using SCRs which sound OK (using a zener diode to activate the SCR and a bunch of resistors to keep the current reasonable) but the problem seems to be the SCR would only activate once, then stay on! Not quite what I had in mind...

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Many thanks.

A resistor and 5V Zener diode as a reference.
A pair of voltage divider resistors to scale the battery voltage.
A comparator IC like an LM311.
A resistor and 5V Zener on the comparator output.

Ken

Attachments

• Battery Monitor.gif
    10.5 KB · Views: 705
Last edited:
Even Simpler?

Thank you both for the circuits. I like that Simple Low Voltage Monitor - looks especially easy to build.

Ideally the current through this circuit would be minimal - well less than 10mA, so I don't discharge my battery while I'm measuring it!

I have realized that I may be overthinking: First of all, the circuit does not necessarily need to go high when the voltage is above 13 -- it could go the other way.

Any reason I couldn't wire from +batt, through a suitable resistor to give me, say, 2mA of current, to the digital + input, then to ground through a 13V zener? I think the circuit would be digitally high until the breakdown of the zener, then would go low above the 13 volts. Is that right?

Last edited:
Just to close the loop on this one: I built a circuit similar to the one shown in the "Simple Low Voltage Monitor" thread. I tried the zener diode thing but it didn't work for my low-current application. It might work for a higher current one... Anyway, I used a 5k potentiometer for a 1k for R6, no R3 or R4, and a 2.?k for R1, across which I measure the voltage. I did not include Q1, R5, or D2. Seems to work OK. My current draw is ~3mA below 12.9V and ~6mA above (which is fine for my needs). It was easy to build: two resistors, one pot, the LM431/TL431 and some perforated board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…