WANTED: voltage multplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

moody07747

im looking for a voltage multplier

ebay has them but for for $16 (with shipping)

if anyone has a spare around let me know

ill also be looking for a broken TV as the junkyard this weekend

moody07747 said:
im looking for a voltage multplier

ebay has them but for for $16 (with shipping)

if anyone has a spare around let me know

ill also be looking for a broken TV as the junkyard this weekend

As you don't give any suggestion of what you actually want!, how is anyone supposed to help?.

This is like asking for a "piece of string", with no indication of length, thickness, or what it might be used for?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
This is like asking for a "piece of string", with no indication of length, thickness, or what it might be used for?.

This should be put up as a sticky for every question that comes up without a decent description. Good One Nigel

Moody is an electrician. He knows "all" about volts and amps and stuff like that.

I had no idea they made diffent outputs for these
umm... any one will do

its going in an electronic torch ighter i made

i thought i posted it here but when i checked i could not see it

here are some pics

**broken link removed**

its an inverter and and 9V battery with a spark gap on the output

If you multiply its couple of kV output, the current will be divided by the same amount. You know, power in must equal power out.
Then the spark might not be hot enough to light your torch.

If you need a higher output voltage and the same current as now, then the circuit and its battery must be re-designed for it.
The little 9V battery is probably operating flat-out right now. It won't be able to supply 10 times more power. The same applies to the circuit's transistors.

My propane barbeque grille came with a battery powered ignitor that would throw a spark sufficient to light the grille -powered by a single AA cell. I suppose you could simply purchase a replacement part thought that isn't a direct answer to your question.

My BBQ is lighted with a clicking hammer on a piezo. No battery and it is tiny, something like a cigarette lighter.

well the guys on the revies say it will take up to 15 volts at most and im not powering it for long

ill try adding some more voltage into it

maby 2 AA batteries

here is the link to the inverter at allelectronics.com

**broken link removed**

now if that link does not work (had problems with this before) go to the site and look for inverters at the right, the first one on the list is the one i have

they also sell a bigger one that i think ill pick up to try next time i order from them

It says it is made to power a Compact Florescent light bulb, so I guess its output voltage is only about 170V or maybe doubled to 340V, not kV's.
It is designed for only 5V so why use up to 12V? It has a MOV on one end which probably limits it max output voltage anyway.

It's too bad that it doesn't have spec's nor a schematic. It does have a cheap price.
I bet it has a two-transistor multivibrator which wastes a lot of power if its supply voltage exceeds the 7V reverse-voltage rating of the transistors' base-emitter junctions, causing avalanche-breakdown.

You know what's inside a little 9V battery? Six skinny AAAA cells. Not much power for breaking-down transistors and MOV's. I would power the thingy with four AA cells.

The module (CXA-2090) was made by TDK, so I doubt that it is poorly designed. It's probably cheap because it's surplus and obsolete.

Ron H said:
The module (CXA-2090) was made by TDK, so I doubt that it is poorly designed. It's probably cheap because it's surplus and obsolete.

I see a LOT of faulty TDK inverter modules failing in VCR's, I've never been impressed by their quality!. They are (sorry WERE!, you don't see them much now) often used to generate the various voltages for VFD's on the VCR.

OK, maybe it's surplus and obsolete for that reason.

Good point about reliability! :lol:
I bought some tiny name-brand, only 1 years old switching AC-DC adapters, 5V/2A for a very low price at a surplus electronics parts store. I wonder how long they will work before they fail?

you want sparks ? a while back i posted the site of a guy that made some awesome sparks..
i'll try & find it..

The larger inverter's high input current will probably kill a little 9V battery but still produces only 120VAC or maybe 170V peak. Lighters have kilo-volts!
I've seen "stun-gun" circuits on the web that are powered by a little 9V battery and make a big spark.
The circuit for a camera's flash makes a 5kV pulse fom a 3V battery.

well i have a big 12v 5Arechargable LA battery but that would take the portability down to 1 of 10

i have a small stun gun "small fry stun gun" from ebay
only $10 for me

but i have it hooked up to my stick welder to start the ark w/o having to tough the steel and stick

i might have an old disposable cam with flash laying around somewhere
i have put one in a small case before and built it like a tazer but would only discharge it on pieces of steel
marked up pennies fast

the onlly thing is i have no idea how big a spark that will make
the spark is normally 1.5" but thats inthe flash tube
it will probably be much lower with an open spark gap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…