Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

water 15 KVA Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Shin

Hi,
I am looking into building a water generator to power my home from the creek that runs past it. I was told by the salesman that a 15 Kva would be ok, but I could possibly get away with a 10 Kva. I asked him what would be the max load in KW @ full load, but I only got a blank stare. He told me it would take a large diesel engine to run the generator, but could not even tell me the KW output of this.

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Rob

Duromax-10000-Watt-Gasoline-Generator-With-Electric-Start-XP10000E.jpg

10,000 Watt Gasoline Generator with Electric Start
8000 Rated Watts / 10000 Surge watts
Engine Horsepower: 16
Engine Size: 25.3 Cubic Inches

Yes, it will be a water driven generator, but what I need to know is, what is the KW required to drive a 15Kva gen.
I need this to know what size impeller to use and what water force is required to turn the impeller at full loads.

Yes, it will be a water driven generator, but what I need to know is, what is the KW required to drive a 15Kva gen.
I need this to know what size impeller to use and what water force is required to turn the impeller at full loads.

Fairly obviously, ask the people you're buying the impeller from, or ask the generator manufacturer.

Realistically to run a 15 KW generator head including gearbox and other losses you would need at least a 30
HP (~23 KW) mechanical power source.

Hydromechanical power wise that would require a input flow rate of between 35,000 GPM @ 2 feet of head pressure and 1500 GPM @ 100 feet of head pressure.

Hi,
I am looking into building a water generator to power my home from the creek that runs past it.
Thanks

Rob

If your using an Electric Stove or Electric Heating, Than you will need MUCH MORE 15kwh.

And You will probably require a Environment Assessment, from your local or federal government to do this in the creek.

Put an Amp Clamp on 1 of the wires in your house circuit box. You might also want to buy a recorder to keep track of full load and peaks during each day. Until you have some FACTS you can only guess what you think you need. Once you know for sure what you need then you know what to build.

Buy several 100 feet of black plastic pipe lay it in the stream up hill. If you can get the intake of the pipe up elevation about 50 feet you will have good head pressure to run a centripetal water pump in reverse and use it to power a generator. A 10 hp centripetal water pump will produce about 5kw. Mother Earth News has a very good article how to generator power from a stream the old magazines are online. I remember this article was about 20 years ago.

You need to do a survey, based on how many live in your house and what appliances you use each day, and maybe look at making the house more efficient, then you'll get an idea how much juice you'll need.
As chem said if you have an electric stove demand will be much higher, and electric shower also uses a lot, 10kw is common.
Maybe you could load share, split the consumer unit and supply certain circuits of the hydro gen.

The biggest thing you need to assess in the whole project is what is the average water flow and elevation drop you have to work with. If that doesn't add up to anything useable there is no reason to assess how much power the house will need.

AS for your base load divide your average monthly utility bill usage number by the number of hours in the billing cycle. That will tell you your baseline average and from that multiply that number by around 7.5 to get a fair rough estimate for what minimum size of generator you should go with.

10kw or 15kw?
I know some one that lives off a very small generator.
At night he has just enough power to turn on all the lights but no more.
In the day time he can cook in the kitchen. At night he must go around and turn off the light but the one kitchen light to run the stove.
If he wants to run the computer he must turn off some lights.

I helped him changing the house wiring to improve things. The furnace and refrigerator can not run at the same time. So I added a relay so when the furnace comes on it kills power to the refrigerator and freezer.

With some planning you can cut back the peak power. I have more things we did if you are interested.

What you need is your own atomic power plant about the size of a micro wave oven. According to Nova TV show it is possible. I want one.

Living on the boat is similar you have to plan things, I have 12vdc all the time but only so much capacity in the batteries, and when the engine runs 240v, so you have to remember to plug things in and charge them, and make sure the dishwasher and washing machine is on.

As tcmtech noted in Post #7, you will need a healthy water flow and head to get that kind of power.
Saying it's a "creek" doesn't give me a lot of confidence that you have that kind of water flow/head available.

Sounds like the salesman doesn't have a clue. I suggest you read this book to assess if your "creek" is suitable and what power may be available.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back