Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

watt, resistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harps

hello.

i wonder at what 'watt' rating should the two resistors be on this circuit below , the motor i am using is 800ma 10v. Am I likely to burn anything up if I use .25w resistors? perhaps the .5 ohm should be of a higher watt rating?

thanks for help.

**broken link removed**

Assume the 0R5 resistor can get 5V at most, it will drat 5^2/0.5 = 12.5W. But I don't know that circuit, nor how long time the resistor is supposed to having voltage over it since that is kinda poor information concerning the circuit. What part number is the ic?

If the running motor current is 1A, then since the motor current flows though the 0.5Ω current-sensing resistor, the steady-state dissipation would be I*R = 1*0.5 = 1/2W.

However, if your steady-state running current for the motor is ~1A, I'll bet the stall (starting) current is like 5 to 10A, so the resistor should be much more than 1/2W.

1/4W will do for the other resistor.

Last edited:
hello and thanks guys.

i have just been testing using a .47 ohm 0.75 watt resistor, but i could buy something larger like you say, how high should i go ? can i go too high and ruin the performance? maybe a 2 watt resistor would be o.k?

it is an allegro a39533

thanks for your help. : )

**broken link removed**

It depends on the STALL current for the motor, and how you set up the current limiting on the Allegro.

You can make low ohm resistors from calibrated lengths of copper wire. If you use a piece of common #14 house wiring you'll easily be able to handle the stall current of your motor. Total cost will be as close to zero as you can get. I bet there's even a website that addresses this kind of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back