Watts as a measure of work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ron,
That was not clear from your post. Also, the weight is m, not m g.

Another point that I forgot to add is that if the force is not constant, then we have to use W = ∫ F . dx integrated between 0 & d.

ljcox,

... Also, the weight is m, not m g.

You lose on that point. Weight is defined as force within a gravity field. Weight never has units of mass. Therefore, weight at Earth's surface is Mg.

Ratch

Ach! Derailed. Well, as long as we're all here together: I'm reading the bit about Kirchhoff's Current Law, where it talks about the current joining back up in a parallel circuit. When it talks about positive and negative current entering and leaving a node on a circuit, does positive indicate a surplus of negatively-charged electrons or a deficit? It almost sounds like a question of direction of electron motion flow. I think Ben Franklin is tripping me up.

<edit> I'm looking at the online texts at learningelectronics.net.

Last edited:
motors nameplates in Amp and Volt is for input, but when a motor is listed as 5hp then it is rated output power, it compsuption will be more than 5hp, check any motor you see and do the calculation. i have a 60 hp 575V 3 phase motor nameplate says 54.6A at 100% duty (54.6A *1,73 *575 *0,9 power factor = approx 65hp of input power

So when he talks about current entering, he is talking about charge flowing into the node. Electrons per se don't really have anything to do with it.

So if I have a parallel circuit with a branch carrying 5mA joining a branch carrying 3mA, my algebra would look like (5mA+3mA [entering]) +(- x) = 0. x being the current leaving the node. The current leaving the node would equal 8mA, once I move it back over to the other side. Am I correct in saying that considering current as a negative value is useful only in solving the math itself?

MFrankly.

Kirchoff's current law, which is just a rephrasing of the law of current conservation, states that the current entering a node must equal the current leaving. Another way to state that is the algebraic sum of the currents entering/leaving a node is zero. Usually current entering a node is given a minus designation, and leaving a positive designation in accordance with the conventional charge flow (CCF) methodology.

Am I correct in saying that considering current as a negative value is useful only in solving the math itself?

The current sign specifies current direction into or out of the node. The math is whatever you choose to define as a direction and setup as an equation. As long as it is consistent.

Ratch

ljcox,

You lose on that point. Weight is defined as force within a gravity field. Weight never has units of mass. Therefore, weight at Earth's surface is Mg.

Ratch
Yes, you're right.

However, in common usage, weight is used instead of mass as this Body weight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia reference states.

If I buy a 1 kg bag of flour in a shop, "Net Weight 1 kg" is written on the label.

But it really weighs 9.8 N.

ljcox,

If I buy a 1 kg bag of flour in a shop, "Net Weight 1 kg" is written on the label.

But it really weighs 9.8 N.

Yes, it is a misnomer. Sort of like "current flow" instead of "charge flow". It should say "Net mass 1 kg" or "Net wt 9.8 newtons".

Ratch

Hi again,

Yes heat is used as the equivalence most basically, friction heat vs power heating.

There's a more direct route however. Way back in the 18th century James Watt equated the power of his horse to what it takes to lift a heavy weight from the bottom of a deep well. He found that it took a certain amount of force over a given time to lift the weight, and this gave something like 22000 ft lb/min to the horse, but that didnt include the effects of friction which brought it closer to 33000 ft lb/min. A slightly more accurate number might be 32572 ft lb/min so lets use that.

work=force*distance
power=work/time=force*distance/time=32572 ft lb/min=543 ft lb/sec=746 watts.
work=power*time=543 ft lb/sec*1 sec=543 ft lb=746 watts*1sec=1HP*1sec

Thus, a loss free motor of 746 watts running for 1 second can provide 543 ft lb of work.
So the power itself is not the work, it's the power used over time that provides the actual work.
Note that if the motor has losses of say 50 watts then the motor consumes 796 watts but only 746 watt seconds of work is done over 1 second. Thus, when we calculate the mechanical equivalent we dont include losses yet because that would mess up the calculation. We include that later to see what it is going to take to actually run the motor and get a certain amount of work accomplished.

The above of course assumes that the motion is in the same direction of the force for all time, and that the motion is constant. A more general definition is like this:
Work=LineIntegral F.dr
where the dot between F and dr indicates the dot product, and this would be the work done on a particle moving from r(a) to r(b) caused by a force F for example.
(I can just barely see that dot on my monitor so if we replace the dot with an asterisk it would look like this: F*dr)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…