Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wave Solder Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illheader

I guess I am the go to guy for the wave soldering here at work. I have a problem with soldering a simple TO220 three lead component. The board is all through hole and solders perfect except for the TO220 which is prepped at 90 degrees and glued to the board. The leads stick through the solder side/bottom .040" and it bridges most of the time. All the other through hole components solder with no problems topside fill, bottom side fill all look great.
Does anyone have any sugestions or comments because I am puzzled.:confused:

Thanks

I guess I am the go to guy for the wave soldering here at work. I have a problem with soldering a simple TO220 three lead component. The board is all through hole and solders perfect except for the TO220 which is prepped at 90 degrees and glued to the board. The leads stick through the solder side/bottom .040" and it bridges most of the time. All the other through hole components solder with no problems topside fill, bottom side fill all look great.
Does anyone have any sugestions or comments because I am puzzled.:confused:

Thanks

Are we talking about wave soldering, of flow soldering?

Yeah, is it chip or laminar? Whatever it is, try the other one. :D

I can think of three things that may help

Run the wave slower
Reduce the size of the annular rings
Add drain pads (see attached picture). Everything in black on the drain pads should be copper with no solder mask on it

Attachments

• drain pads.GIF
    drain pads.GIF
    3.7 KB · Views: 154
It is a lamda/main wave that I am using.
We are a contract manufacturer so changing the pcb lay out is very difficult or basically not an option.

Thanks

Probably the TO220 is sucking the heat out of the board. Is that the biggest component on there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back