WE DISGRACED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I was reading an article in "Times Of India" where an American girl spoke about why American girls stop chatting immediately when they find that the guy on the other side is Indian.She says that we are really naive about western culture and always ask questions about others private and personal life and have a perverted mind.she even calls us a racist pig at the end.Is it so????what's your take???

I think you could change the scenario around a little and it could be applicable to alot of countries ... as those are human interactions.

how many western women personally called you a racist pig? Ask that question of your friends. Is the article an isolated incident or a manifestation of western culture.

Yes there is a conflict between my first and second lines. The "Times of India" has a motive to sell papers. Sex sells, touching the emotions sell. How much of the article rings true with your circle of friends.

Hi tech,

Pay no attention. Any paper that relays rabid garbage like that simply isn't worth your time. In the UK it would have been against the law on racist grounds. Lets face it, if you are so minded you can quote any idiot you like to sell papers, as Joe says above in post #2.
I have met quite a few Indian guys in the UK and also when I lived in Malaya, Singapore and during a month touring India; I have found most Indian guys to be gentlemen, with a good sense of humor.

spec

Last edited:
Yes its true some Indians, infact many Indians are like this, as are many white people and many black and every race on earth has plenty of these people. Its not good practice to judge people and utter stupidity to judge a race by a single specimen of the population.

Next time send them this.

Everyone is perverted in their own mind. Its how we act on those thoughts that defines us.

I was reading an article in "Times Of India"
A complete rag of a newspaper, a joke.

what's your take???
You may not like this but this is my personal experience.
I few years ago I spent some time in India, actually I was shuttling back and forth from the UK making 5 or 6 ten day trips over a period of six months.
To be quite honest I was appalled by the rudeness of many of the people, and the total lack of technical ability and competence by some of the so called educated ones with degrees from some university and so called managers within the clients company.

Just my honest opinion from personal experience.

JimB

My personal opinion, based on my experience, many Indian universities do not teach well at all. One can graduate with a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and still not know Ohm's Law. We had a member here not long ago who claimed to have graduated with a degree in electrical engineering but you could tell he really didn't know anything at all, his questions were what I would expect from a six-year-old, and they were very poorly structured. Unfortunately he's not the only one--It's been proven that many universities in India do not do their jobs. That being said, I have seen the same from some universities here in the United States. There just seems to be a higher number in India.

That being said, I do not generally hold it against the Indian people. I know many people from India who are good friends of mine and are very polite and friendly.

Like most stereotypes, that of the Indian people being rude and unintelligent may be partially accurate (to a percentage of the population), but cannot be used to describe the entire population. I am willing to bet that a majority of the Indian people do not fit the stereotype and are very friendly and knowledgeable. Don't feel singled out by this. There are stereotypes that Americans are fat, lazy people who sit on their sofas and watch television all day, munching on fast food and potato chips. I can say, however, that this certainly isn't the case for most Americans. While there certainly is a percentage of the population that fits that description exactly, it is not fair to say that all American people are like that.

I am willing to bet that a majority of the Indian people do not fit the stereotype and are very friendly and knowledgeable.
We hope so, but I found them in a minority.

There are stereotypes that Americans are fat, lazy people who sit on their sofas and watch television all day, munching on fast food and potato chips.
That applies to a large number of Brits also.

JimB

Interesting, I worked at Qualcomm for 10 years, some of our top people were from India. In fact I worked with one fella from India who I thought was brilliant.

Interesting, I worked at Qualcomm for 10 years, some of our top people were from India. In fact I worked with one fella from India who I thought was brilliant.

I work at Fujifilm now and there are several Indians who work here and are very intelligent and friendly.

The kid I am always up against at school is Indian from Jupur, he is a Sikh and really hard to beat except in tech builds. Nice guy and apart from the competition side of things we get on well. There seems more racism towards the English up here than towards others, apart from the religious stuff of course. I have always lived rural so diversity hasnt really been there, but so far I have come to conclusion you get idiots in every shade imaginable! At times I admit the idiot seems to outbreed the non idiot.

Last edited:

India or the US? As that statement sits from my personal life experiences it would apply to the US way too well.

I am for the most part blind to skin color but I am not blind to stupidity, arrogance and rudeness regardless of where it comes from or what color the package it is in can be.

(Personally I don't care much for white people any more. Too many are arrogant ignorant jerks now.)

I recall the Canadian Legion fuss over the Sikh turban a while back as quoted below.*

Quote: //
*Marching in a Canadian Veterans' Day parade last November, Pritam Singh Jauhal proudly wore the medals he had earned fighting for the British 8th Army in North Africa during World War II.
But when he and five other Sikh veterans tried to enter the local Royal Canadian Legion hall in a Vancouver suburb for a commemorative gathering, they were barred at the door. The dress code, legion officials explained, forbade headgear, and the men were wearing turbans. Because turbans are required wear for Sikh males, Jauhal and his colleagues declined to remove theirs.
//Unquote:

The Irony is that after the British Empire acquired India under Queen Victoria, Muslim’s Hindu's and Sikhs were drafted, fought valiantly and died in all of England’s wars
One could say it was not their wars and most likely had not Britain ruled them, they would never have died on the behalf of the British Empire ( of which Canada is a member)..
So I would have thought the Legion could have been a little gracious and cut them a little slack in this case.

Another irony is that the Sikh's were allowed the 'privilege' to override wearing a helmet into war and wear a turban instead, with all the inherent dangers..
General Frank Walter Messervy, a British Indian Army officer who served in World War I and II, described an observation he had of a particular kind of solider serving the British army:

"In the last two World Wars 83,005 turban-wearing Sikh soldiers were killed and 109,045 were wounded. They all died or were wounded for the freedom of Britain and the World, enduring shell fire with no other protection but the turban..."
Max.

The problem with talking about humans, no matter with respect to the countries of the world, they all suffer the same human problems. Arrogance, racist, rude, pick any number of adjectives. Some will fit the description and some won't. You still have the right to associate with whoever you wish.

Different cultures have different ideas about personal boundaries and what is "rude." My wife is not American and when I was living in her country with her family, it took me a while to adjust. They would query each other about the consistency of bowel movements at the dinner table. And they call fat people fat, gay people gay, ugly people ugly, to their face, with no insult intended or perceived; it's pretty bizarre.

I suspect maybe in your culture it's not rude to ask certain questions, questions that are most definitely rude in our culture. You don't know the questions are rude, and we don't know that you don't know they're rude, so misplaced butthurt ensues. A cultural misunderstanding.

P.S. Americans are overly sensitive and seek out reasons to take offense at innocent remarks, even among ourselves, so don't take it personally.

Strantor, I just noticed your from Texas, I was born in Amarillo, lived in Wichita Falls for a spell as well (Air Force Dad) My sister lives in San Antonio, my dad lived there also up until his passing. I been tempted to sell my condo here in San Diego and move to the San Antonio area where cost of living is lower than here.

Buddy Holly came from Lubbock Texas, so the state has always held a fascination for me, as has the whole of the USA for that matter.

If you're thinking of moving to TX I suggest you check out Houston. Lots of jobs here, lots of industry. Oil Capitol. The place is growing but there's still room to stretch.

If you're thinking of moving to TX I suggest you check out Houston. Lots of jobs here, lots of industry. Oil Capitol. The place is growing but there's still room to stretch.
Would love too strantor, especially as I would hear the Texian accent all the time, but they would never let an old fella like me into the states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…