Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Weller WES51 who would recommend it

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChemE

I am looking to purchase a Weller WES51 as you may have gathered from the topic. I have already done a search on the Weller WES51 in this forum and did not much information other then a few people own them and are happy with them.

So my questions to all of you are:
  • What is your opinion of this soldering iron, explain pros and cons?

I have done multiple searches on Google and found some information on this iron, which is mostly just information put out by weller no real reviews. What I have not been able to confirm is that the WES51 is temperature controlled.
  • By temperature controlled I am saying that if the temperature drops does it recover and does it recover quickly?

I have read that it has a "electronic control system which offers excellent control performance".

• Does anyone know what an electronic control system is?

I just want to learn a few things before I shell out $100. Incase anyone is wondering why I would like a soldering iron is because designing/building circuits that utilize PICs is a hobby I am picking up and plan to do for a very long time. So I would like to have a quility Soldering Iron that isn't going to cause me problems and that will last for years.
Thank you!

'bought 4 of the digital ones over the last 3 months
for work, (plus one for home) very happy with those
that help?

edit:
on the digit version you can see the temp dip when heat is drawn away
- it then quickly compensates.

Last edited:
I have one. They are great soldering irons. And Jameco carries the smaller and larger tips for the irons. I would definitely recommend that iron. And it has the feature to lock out above a temp that you can set, which is great when you let someone borrow it. :)

There is another iron that someone mentioned here that was close to half the cost though ( I think). People seem pretty happy with that one too.

The temp does stay fairly constant, and it heats up fast too, depending on the tip mass and the amount of lead you're melting. The electronic control system is nothing major, just a dial to set the desired temp and to lockout temps above a point that you can "program". Its very simple to use.

Last edited:
They are really good soldering irons - I've used a few and have been thinking of getting one - the problem is they are really expensive locally. Much cheaper overseas but the shipping kills the price then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back