Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Whassit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
A mate couldnt be bothered to sort it out and scooped a load off junk of his bench and chucked it in a bag and gave it to me, amongst said junk was these:

OK they are caps, but what kind, and any idea what the violet spot means?, on a layer cap its the pin that goes to the last wrap, but these things are hollow tubular.

Attachments

• IMG_20160509_114917.jpg
    IMG_20160509_114917.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 181
They look like tubular ceramic, maybe with a high voltage rating.

JimB

Couldnt quite see the voltage rating, it looks like 70v, but it might be 7Kv.

I cant count that high Nige.
Hmm the yellow one looks ok.
If its a 7kv part where would you get one without spending £££'s.
Is your reason for trashing them because they are probably dead, or some other reason, dont ceramics last for ages.

Hmm, he is a chemist, might have been mustard gas I spose.

OOOO Keep them! sometimes called dog bone caps, go on an antique or as they prefer to say VINTAGE radio repair forum, they pay good money for them as they like to keep stuff authentic.

In the scrap bin awaiting inspiration.

Purple dot will indicate either the inner or outer plate. Don't know which....
I love old stuff like that :) No use for it, just like the look and the feel and the smell...

Yup me too.
I've seen dots on layer caps before, you can use the last layer as a screen, I dodnt think these had layers being so low in capacitance.
Yes theres a thing about dull glow of heaters and the smell of hot glass, but then thats not what this forums about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back