Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What can be a cheaper alternative to IC 5L0380R?

electronium

greeting again to the colleagues of the forum
In our country, Iran, due to the economic problem of the devaluation of the national currency and the fluctuations in the exchange rate and the dollar-euro-pound, the price of ICs is high, and it is difficult for the repairman and the customer to repair the device and the power supply of the device and it does not fit. Is there an alternative to IC 5L0380R or is there a circuit that can be used with MOSFET or bjt in powering electronic circuits?
I tried it with viper22A, but it didn't work

In the early part of the 20th century repairmen and repair shops were common because the replacement cost of most electronics was enormous when compared to the average wage. In the 21st century they have vanished almost completely because the cost of automated manufacturing has driven the replacement cost of most electronics to almost nothing. On top of that repairing boards with surface mount parts using leadfree solder is a highly skilled operation even with the appropriate equipment which has a rather high cost of acquisition. The most immediate problem for your repair efforts is that component manufacturers are not interested in supplying parts in small quantities. They spend their time on volume orders. That leaves you a victim of charlatans and counterfeiters on the gray market where you pay good money for parts that have no silicon inside. IMHO you would be better off trying to find a more lucrative occupation.

Even so if there are other reasons why you quest must continue, I wish you the best of luck, but I am less than sanguine about your prospects.

In the early part of the 20th century repairmen and repair shops were common because the replacement cost of most electronics was enormous when compared to the average wage. In the 21st century they have vanished almost completely because the cost of automated manufacturing has driven the replacement cost of most electronics to almost nothing. On top of that repairing boards with surface mount parts using leadfree solder is a highly skilled operation even with the appropriate equipment which has a rather high cost of acquisition. The most immediate problem for your repair efforts is that component manufacturers are not interested in supplying parts in small quantities. They spend their time on volume orders. That leaves you a victim of charlatans and counterfeiters on the gray market where you pay good money for parts that have no silicon inside. IMHO you would be better off trying to find a more lucrative occupation.

Even so if there are other reasons why you quest must continue, I wish you the best of luck, but I am less than sanguine about your prospects.
Dear engineer, have a good time
I have been repairing electronic equipment and devices for many years. Repairing is my job. I rent a shop. I raised my work and technical level from that. I did not become a designer of electronic devices, but I do repairs. And if he knows a profession or works and works, he can have a business and have an income. In our country, we have a lot of repairmen and repairmen, and there is a competition between us. I can get a job. I can handle the work. I can't change my job because I have been in this job for many years. I work with the smallest account and my art. I thank all of you friends and colleagues who understand me, help and guide me. The things I learned from this forum and its users were not in the internal forum and what I want is not there. They can't help and guide me because my level has increased, not everyone can answer my challenges and questions, that's why the focus is on this forum, so far it's working very well, friends and colleagues can answer and I will report the results of everyone's efforts in the form of a correct report. And I presented it with documentation to compensate

I did some poking around and the KA5L0380R is obsolete and there appears to be no stock from mainline distributors. Attempts to find a similar part suggested the L6565D, but seeing as that part is an 8-pin part I'm dubious that it would be suitable alternative.

The part you want appears to be in stock at eBay and 3rd tier distributors for $0.75 to $1.50, but I assume those sources are not accessible to you. It looks like you are SOL.

You mentioned the Viper22, but that is a much simpler part, and I would not expect it to work very well for you since it has no error amplifier.

Have a look at some of the Power Integrations "TOPSwitch" devices? They are similar in principle, but would need the circuit re-arranging to suit.

Claiming things are "unrepairable" is common and commonly accepted in most countries. However, for people living in embargoed countries - mostly Iran, Cuba, Syria and North Korea (and increasingly so for Russia), the idea of repairing and keeping things running is a way of life. Throwing things in the trash is an unlikely destiny for any manufactured device. All of the parts seem to have value and will be held in scrap piles - waiting for someone in need of a component or willing/able to get the device running again.

Most embargos focus on export of goods to those countries with some exception for medical or humanitarian supplies. Some embargo's also include the "export of information" to those countries. Especially information that can be used to build, maintain or repair military or terroristic devices or for joint, military/non-military information (even if you think the information is "common knowledge" or "widely available") - considering that nearly all devices need a power supply, general knowledge can be very applicable.

The owners of this site may be well served to look into their responsibilities related to facilitating the export of information to those countries. Also, most countries in the world are participating in the embargo, and punishing individuals and companies that violatate the embargo (that's how embargo's work).

Cheers.

Cuba and US automobiles manufactured before 1959 are a prime example of the repair as a way of life paradigm. They have been repairing and "remanufacturing" parts for those cars for going on 65 years. I'd be willing to wager that repeating that feat with the electronic content contained most modern cars might be just a bit more difficult by several orders of magnitude.

I don't think we have anything to worry about since there does not seem to be a replacement that he might have access to. He might be better off looking for parts that he has access to instead of ones that he doesn't.

I'd be willing to wager that repeating that feat with the electronic content contained most modern cars might be just a bit more difficult by several orders of magnitude
It becomes much easier when you just remove the electronics from a car rather than try to replicate the electronics. Who needs multicolor ambient lighting anyhow? An engine is an engine. Casting a new intake manifold and bolting a carburetor to it is fairly low-tech. Save the electronics for the drones.

It becomes much easier when you just remove the electronics from a car rather than try to replicate the electronics. Who needs multicolor ambient lighting anyhow? An engine is an engine. Casting a new intake manifold and bolting a carburetor to it is fairly low-tech. Save the electronics for the drones.
What you get is akin to an ugly duckling rather than a beautiful swan. If you are in a country where that is all you can get or expect, then you have my sympathies.

Last edited:
What you get is akin to an ugly duckling rather than a beautiful swan. If you are in a country where that is all you can get or expect, then you have may sympathies.
I don't think people in embargoed countries care much about the looks of their cars - I've been to Russia before they were embargoed - they didn't drive any "swans" before they were embargoed.

Surplus old stock: you may ask for a sample but unlikely get it. Your best chance is here but order costs will be high ask 10 for quotes on 5 samples or more.

Latest threads

Back