what capacitor I need to run a 110v motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jare

Hi: I need some help here, well I have this 175 watt inverter to run a 3/4hp 110v motor (from a dryer machine) what kind of capacitor(s) I need to make it run at all its capacity, and how I connect it?

depends?
I take it your are rectifying AC to get a DC-bus to feed yr inverter?

The size of yr cap is gonna depend not just on your output power (that you have stated) but how much torque ripple you can tolerate (since ripple on DC-link will transpose into a current ripple and thus torque ripple). And also what THD you are allowed - ie how much muck you are expecting to chuck back onto yr utility

Also on what type on AC you are feeding it from?.
3ph (less capacitance needed)
single ph (alot more capacitance)
UK (230V rms)
US (110V rms)

but generally more capacitance is always good. Fill up as much space as you can with capacitors, you can never have enough in drives - just watch inrush at power-on (use pre-charge or inductor)

--EDIT--
re-read yr post and you were after type of capacitor. metal film caps a good
as to how just jack it across yr DC-link

A 175 watt inverter will never run a 3/4 hp 110v motor. The inverter is only capable of 1.5 amps(approx) and the motor will draw much more ,especially during startup..You need a larger inverter or smaller motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…