Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What core for a 1Kw fuel cell inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanner66

Hi Guys,

I need to build a 1Kw buck converter to stableize the varying output of a hydrogen fuel cell to give a 24V output.

I have found what looks to be a good circuit using the Linear Technology LT1339 chip.

All the parts on the design note sheet are availiable but I am unsure about what core to use for the 10uH 50A inductor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

I understand the convenience for using a Buck converter, but, for 200W+ I would think about a half bridge converter, possibly forward, as the efficiency can be higher. Transformers though, are obviously less appealing to the builder over inductors :)

For a 1kW Synchronous Buck converter, you're looking at a maximum of 90% (ish) efficiency, which means a maximum of 100W to disappate somewhere. Of course, 'Linear Tech' do make some of the best DC/DC converter controllers, but for such high power...its a tough project.

Also, you could parallel several MOSFET/inductors, like a 3 phase Buck converter seen on PC motherboards. The current now days can reach 30A on those....albeit with very low value inductors (400nH). I would spend the cash on a premade inductor....I'm sure there's nothing like winding your own but at that current, it'll be tough..even with big litzwire.

Let us know of your progress!

Blueteeth

Coil Craft SER2914 series, use two in parallel or series.
Try BI they have about the same thing.
JW Miller 2300ht-100
Coiltronics CTX10-16-52
EPCOS Inc B82559A7103A25
Try Pulse Eng they have some nice coils.
All these above are 1/2 what you need but you could use two.

Many thanks guys, you have been a huge help.

I will buy some wound inductors, I did not really want to wind my own, just could not find any with anything like enough current carrying capacity.

I will let you know how I get on.

Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back