Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does FG mean in this part? (VTX-214-030-115)

Status
Not open for further replies.

riccardo

Hi, I am considering using this part in a project...
**broken link removed**

One pin is labelled as FG but not described in the datasheet. Is it supposed to be the mains earth connection? What does FG stand for?

Thanks, I also saw a definition as it could be Floating Ground.

I suppose it makes little difference but should I connect this to mains earth for good practice?

I presume that's where it's supposed to be connected, although I doubt it will make any difference (and isn't shown in the suggested connections).

Are you earthing the output?.

No, I will have the DC- common with the negative output of a bridge rectifier on the same mains input to serve as the circuit GND.

FG is generally Frame Ground in these types of PSU.
It is a bit of a stretch to think of "frame", ie some metalwork, on a potted power supply.

I am guessing that an Y capacitors in the input mains filter will be connected to FG, also the inter-winding screen (if there is one) in the transformer.

JimB

Correct, the Y-rated caps are responsible for EMI C-L-C or Pi filter bypass currents to suppress noise in each direction, by lowering impedance to FG but but too big a cap that it exceeds the IEC, UL safety leakage specs.

This one is rated at 47-63Hz 0.3mA.
As I recall the limit per PSU is 0.5mA and 2.5mA per commercial unit, which ay have multiple PSU's.

i should warn you that the downside of earthing secondary DC in SMPS is increased susceptibility damage in HIPOT tests. Factories will test unground secondary and pass and I discovered % catastropic failure in one source after they transferred production from SD to mexico . The causes were obvious to me with greater HiPOT stress before switching transformer, since the isolation in the transformer is now shunted. It took me a 1 lot reject to get the QA 's attention with Root Causes illustrated. This a product I designed and being assembled with 1k units/mo for Avaya/lucent.

Last edited:
This means, if this is a commercial design, ensure source changes their test procedure to ground secondary during outgoing HIPOT test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back