What does Tape width and Pitch mean in datasheet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacat

In the following datasheet, it says:
PITCH: 12MM
TAPE WIDTH: 16MM

What do they mean?

In some items in the table it says there
PITCH: -
TAPE WIDTH: -

Weird, isnt it?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 648
Last edited:
That is a terrible datasheet. Ugh.

It's probably the tape the components are attached to for automatic feeding.

This Standard was formulated to provide dimensions and tolerances necessary to tape surface mount components such that they may be automatically handled. (EIA-481)

Thank you!

Please tell me if i got it right.

PITCH and TAPE WIDTH dont set the dimensions of the items (switches in this case), is it correct?

The tape pitch and width are not the dimensions of the device, they are only the dimensions of the packaging.

If you look, the tape pitch and tape width are only quoted on the devices who's part numbers end in "TR". In other words, if they are taped and reeled for automatic placement, the customer needs to know how wide the tape is and what the pitch is. If they are sold loose, those numbers don't apply. The width is important because it sets how wide the automatic feeder is, and as each feeder can cost $1000, and there is a limit to how many can fit on a machine, it can be vital for production planning.

Pitch is just like pin spacing on an IC only it's components on the tape. The tape width is just that the physical width of the reel tape.
I'm not sure what single point is used for the pitch specification.

Yeah, I didn't even think of that till after the post 3v0 =) The main thing it would mean is the exact placement width wise on the tape itself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…