What exactly is a photodiode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Souper man

I am looking for a in depth answer to what a photodiode is and where can I get them.

Remember, photoDIODE, not Photoresistor

It's a diode... like any other diode, although with a transparent package. Sometimes the external package material is tuned for a specific spectrum, but EVERY PN junction exhibits a photo electric effect. Light applied to the junction will produce current through it. The photons knock around the free electrons. Any LED will exhibit a photo diode effect. (Just put one on a scope and shine a light at it) Basic semi conductor physics. Also little known, is all semi conductor junction emit some form of light =) One of the reasons why they come in opaque packages.

Last edited:
.... so if you connect a photodiode in series with a resistor and connect the whole lot accross a dc supply, the current through the resistor (and therefore the voltage accross it) will vary with the light intensity.

With specially made diodes light variations in the MHz region can be monitored. I have used PIN photodiodes to detect laser pulses only about 10ns duration.

still, where can i get them?

Also, by hooking them up to the base of a NPN transistor, could I use them for a light following robot?

A Photo-diode can be used in one of two ways:
1) If it is reverse-biased then it leaks a small current when it is exposed to light or IR. The reverse-bias voltage reduces its capacitance so it is fast.
2) If it has no bias voltage then it generates a small forward voltage when it is exposed to light or IR. It is very sensitive.

Any generic LED can be used as a photo diode. But you need relativly sensative circuits to really use them.

Well I've managed to use a 400nm violet diode to detect 407nm light from a black light using a multimeter so I wouldn't agree, you just need a simply high impedance amplifier.

still i dont get how to use them and where to get them!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…