Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What if need more than 1 A

Status
Not open for further replies.

watzmann

Hi All,

I'm using LM7805 but i noticed it only can provide 1 A , do we have similar regaulator to LM7805 but can provide more current ?

Thanks

Watzmann

There are other devices available like the **broken link removed** @ 2A or the **broken link removed** @ 7.5A or you can fit a bypass transistor to increase the current like **broken link removed**.

Last edited:
The TO-3 version of the 7805 is good for 1.5A.

There are lots of other things you need to be aware of when building a power supply that will deliver more than 1 amp.
One-amp is easy to provide. But when the current exceeds this, a lot of new problems arise.
Keep the input voltage about 4v above the output voltage so the wattage dissipated by the 3-terminal regulator is at a minimum.
Provide filtering of at least 1,000u per amp on the input.
Try to separate the load into smaller current-requirements. One-amp loads are ideal.
Provide more than adequate heat-sinking.
Rectifier diodes must also match the current-requirement.
Don’t forget the wattage-dissipations of the regulators.

What kind of current are you looking for? The LM123 can source 3 amps, the LT1003 can source 5 amps. A couple to look into, if that's the range you'd like. There are a lot of regulators out there for various voltages and currents. Google will help you find part numbers, if you need different ones than the ones I just suggested.

Good luck!

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back