What if need more than 1 A

Status
Not open for further replies.

watzmann

Hi All,

I'm using LM7805 but i noticed it only can provide 1 A , do we have similar regaulator to LM7805 but can provide more current ?

Thanks

Watzmann

There are other devices available like the **broken link removed** @ 2A or the **broken link removed** @ 7.5A or you can fit a bypass transistor to increase the current like **broken link removed**.

Last edited:
There are lots of other things you need to be aware of when building a power supply that will deliver more than 1 amp.
One-amp is easy to provide. But when the current exceeds this, a lot of new problems arise.
Keep the input voltage about 4v above the output voltage so the wattage dissipated by the 3-terminal regulator is at a minimum.
Provide filtering of at least 1,000u per amp on the input.
Try to separate the load into smaller current-requirements. One-amp loads are ideal.
Provide more than adequate heat-sinking.
Rectifier diodes must also match the current-requirement.
Don’t forget the wattage-dissipations of the regulators.

What kind of current are you looking for? The LM123 can source 3 amps, the LT1003 can source 5 amps. A couple to look into, if that's the range you'd like. There are a lot of regulators out there for various voltages and currents. Google will help you find part numbers, if you need different ones than the ones I just suggested.

Good luck!

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…