What is 'duty cycle'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antknee

I see the term referenced in a 555 timer datasheet. I'm just not sure what it means.

Thanks.

Output 'on' (high) to 'off' (low) ratio. 50% duty cycle would be equal high and low time per cycle. 90% duty cycle would be output high most of the cycle.

Last edited:
I see. I would prefer a 50% duty cycle for the 555 timer in that case. Is there a particular way of choosing the duty cycle?

As a a matter of interest would you know how to get a sine wave out of a 555 timer, or something that would do the job, relatively simply?

Thanks.

Here is a sinewave output from a 555:
**broken link removed**
The output has "high impedance" and needs buffering. In other words, the output waveform is "very delicate" and will change shape if it is loaded or passed to a stage that has a low resistance.
You will have to choose values for R and C (on the output) to get the waveshape you require. It is not a perfect sinewave but is called "an approximation."

Last edited:
That is excellent, thank you. The 555 is so versatile and cheap. A great chip.

I have a 555 calculator so I will play around to get the duty cycle at around 50%.

Depends on if you actually need a real sinewave or not antknee, colins circuit will give you a filtered square wave output, I'd hardly consider it a sinewave, it'll jut be a bit more gentle than a square wave, it'll still contain plenty of harmonics.

I don't need an exact sine wave. I will have a look to see if the harmonics are going to be an issue. Cheers. Am going to put it together now at 100KHz.

Well it works. Needs a fair bit of value tweaking.

I was under the impression that the output from the 555 was going to be positive. But it looks like I have -1 to +1 volts. Is that right?

No it doesn't look right. I mustn't have grounded my scope or something similar. Ironically I have now realised I need a positive and negative signal!

Does anyone know of a timer that can output a bipolar signal?

Thanks.

Hi there,

One way to get a nice sine wave out of a 555 is to filter the (square wave) output with an LC filter rather than an RC filter. If the frequency is not too low a small inductor will do the job. The LC filter should follow the resonate frequency formula for L and C:
F=1/(2*pi*sqrt(L*C))
In other words, if the output is 10kHz then L and C must be such that in the above formula F=10kHz also.

Of course this is best when you only need one sine wave frequency output, as C will have to change for somewhat different frequencies.

Last edited:
That is excellent thank you. I just tried it with two 10uF caps and 3.3K resistor because those are closest to hand. The square wave has rounded off a little, it is hard to tell if I'm getting minus volts, I presume so, but I have difficulty working out how to ground my scope so it is hard to tell!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…