Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is Impadence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, someone can correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you are reading a misspelling of the word "impedence" I personally have never heard the word impadence.
If that is the case, and if you don't already know what impedence is, it is the combined values of resistance and reactance in any combination of RLC circuit. (resistors,inductors, and or capacitors) This value, like resistance, is given an ohmic value. Reactance being devided among inductive reactance(XL) and capacitive reactance (XC).
Reactance occurs in AC circuits, so generally speaking, impedence is used to describe the opposition to current flow in AC circuits, where resistance is used to describe purely resistive circuits having no coils or capacitors. inductive reactance is found by multiplying: XL= 2 x pi x the frequency of the AC x the coil value in Henries. Capacitive reactance is found by dividing: XC=1 divided by (2 x pi x frequency x capacitance in Farads)
These values all combine and contribute to the impedence of the circuit (Z) which is expressed in Ohms.

In short, impedence is a generalized form of resistance (You do know resistance, right?).

While you can find the equivalent resistance of a network of resistors, you can similarly find the equivalent impedance of a network of resistors, capacitors and inductors, and apply the same Ohm's Law Z=V/I. You can find the time-domain response by finding the inverse laplace transform. You can also find the spectrum of the network, ie if it's a low-pass filter or high-pass.

Actually, the definition of impedence is simply Z=V/I.

The correct spelling is IMPEDANCE.

Seeing a word spelt incorrectly is sometimes very destructive, you begin to doubt the spelling which you already know and is correct.

JimB

JimB said:
The correct spelling is IMPEDANCE.

Seeing a word spelt incorrectly is sometimes very destructive, you begin to doubt the spelling which you already know and is correct.

JimB
You are right. It seems that I've been mispelling it all the time. Thanks!
Also, from google searches, it seems that I'm far from being alone too. :lol:

D.J. said:
Hi everyone.

I am running into the word "impadence" all over the place. It seems that I have to understand this to proceed but am having a hard time doing so.

Could someone please give me a simple explination of IMPADENCE?

Thanks,

D.J.

IMPADENCE... screwing up circuit board pads? :lol: (im - padence)

but in reality, I have never even heard of someone talk about impadence.

But, IMPEDENCE can be equivalent to RESISTANCE, but it's resistance comes from CAPACITORS and INDUCTORS, and very seldomly (if at all), RESISTORS.

So

IMPEDANCE = Z = RESISTANCE

MStecha,
How much resistance does a 0.1uF capacitor have when it has an impedance of 1k ohms at about 1600Hz? :?:

Well, I presume that's a joke but I'll answer it anyway:

Xc = 1/(j*w*C) = 1/(j*2*pi*1600*.01*10^-6) = -9947.18*j or exp(-1.5708*j)*9947.18. + 1k ohms. I think you're talking about an RC circuit.

But I also presume you meant "how much impedence" and not how much resistance.

Which is why I think its a joke.

Hi _3iMaJ,
You are also making a joke by calculating the impedance of a 0.01uF capacitor when I asked about a 0.1uF capacitor. :lol:

Have you ever seen a capacitor with any sustantial resistance when compared with its 1k ohm reactance? :?:

Yeah, sure in filter circuits.

For example, take a RC circuit and take the output across the resistor. Now apply DC to that circuit, Xc = infinity!! :lol:

I think I understand your question now.

Typically we model capacitors with a capacitor and an resistor in parallel to show that their are leakage currents present. Now typically that "resistor" is measured in semens or mohs whichever you prefer because thats the way the math works out.

Those conductances are usually vary small (which makes the resistances very large), so they are typically never something you think about unless you're working at RF frequencies because everything becomes important at those frequencies.

Maybe DJ meant IMPUDENCE?

im·pu·dence Pronunciation Key (mpy-dns) also im·pu·den·cy (-dn-s)
n.

1. The quality of being offensively bold.
2. Offensively bold behavior.

Hi everyone,

No phasor, I meant Impedance.

Thanks for the replys I think I have a better understanding.

I now need to apply the explinations to what I have read.

Thanks

D.J.

_3iMaJ said:
I think I understand your question now.

Typically we model capacitors with a capacitor and an resistor in parallel to show that their are leakage currents present. Now typically that "resistor" is measured in semens or mohs whichever you prefer because thats the way the math works out.

Er..... I really think all of us should work on our spellings.

fsahmed said:
Er..... I really think all of us should work on our spellings.

LOL :lol: I didn't spot that one! I think I'll stay well away from 3iMaj's resistor collection!

And DJ... "Impudence" was tongue-in-cheek :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back