Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is that chip on the left?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably a PIC.

Surely this sort of thing should be banned from these forums as it promotes terrorist activity.

Could be a lot of things, maybe a tone detector driven from the speaker to trip the relay (white box), why do you care? Hero, how does this promote terrorist activities? The circuits required to modify a cell phone and a pager into an IED trigger a smart high school student could figure out, showing a single blurry image of an ugly hack on a phone doesn't promote anything except perhaps the fact that the person that made the device made it wrong.
I'm not even sure why you would suggest it was a micro controller, PIC or otherwise.

Last edited:
My brother's humvee was flipped by a IED. He came out alive, but I asked him and he said there in Iraq you can find out how to make one of those in many places and that the people who make them have lots of resources. There are many types but the cell phone is one of the most common. They probably don't search eletro-tech to make their bombs, they just ask another guy in their organization. Either way I'm glad that one didn't work.

It looks like an Opto Isolator (6 pin Dip). It is probably there for "safety" :D
This reminds me of some news footage I saw of the Air India bomber's workshop. You could see clearly in the background, behind the homemade timers, a box from DigiKey. I'm sure they cringed when they saw that.

this brings up an obvious and immediate need for cell phone jammers. If I were a humvee jockey, I'd be trolling this forum for exactly that. I know the bombers would just switch to something else but no need to give them a free ride.

There might even be a more sophisticated device that not only jams but also snoops phone traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back