Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is the better choise:PIC or AVR for working near an engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasser

hello:
i want to design a circuit using microcontroller for watching a disel engine parameters as (temperature,presure and its generator) .
what is the better choise:pIC or AVR for working near an engine

kasser said:
hello:
i want to design a circuit using microcontroller for watching a disel engine parameters as (temperature,presure and its generator) .
what is the better choise:pIC or AVR for working near an engine

I would have thought either would be suitable?.

Go to the Atmel website. Theu have a whole series of AVR chips, specifically for automorive applications. I never read anything on them, as have no need at this time.
I just started last December, done a few abusive things in the learning process, and yet to destroy my first MCU. AVR chips are pretty tough.

Like it's stated above, you need to protect any circuit placed in the engine compartment from heat, elements, and vibration. All the components, not just the MCU have an operating temperature range.

PIC or AVR for working near an engine
Neither.

For good reason, you'll find that manufacturers put as much of the electronics as they can, inside the passenger compartment.

Vibration, temperature, electrical noise, and moisture are much more moderate.

mneary said:
Neither.

For good reason, you'll find that manufacturers put as much of the electronics as they can, inside the passenger compartment.

Vibration, temperature, electrical noise, and moisture are much more moderate.
The OP did not say he wanted to put the processor on the engine. Just near it. A computer on the passenger side of a firewall is near the engine.

The fundamental technology used to great both PIC's and AVR's are the same, neither one is going to have an inherant advantage.

There should be sending units that are terminated under the dash (assuming this engine is in a vehicle) for all the things you are after.

Can you provide more details?

You can pick them up there and use either micro-controller to do the job.

Search the forums, there is a fellow doing a speedometer with a PIC chip.

For heat, get a MCU with an extended temperature range. The PIC16F628 extended temperature range device works up to 125C whereas the industrial temp range ones only are spec'd to 85C. The support components also have to be spec'd to the max temp you'll expect as it is always the weakest link that fails.

I think the key is not the selection of MCU, BUT your design method. either of them work if you have a good deign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back