Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the life-estimation of CMOS ICs 4093 & 4060...

Status
Not open for further replies.

yusuf

What is the life-estimation of CMOS ICs 4093 & 4060...

Again What is the life-estimation of CMOS ICs 4093 & 4060... ..
If this ic works 24hr from 12v dc power supply !

Name-brand manufacturers rate their CD4xxx Cmos logic ICs with a maximum allowed supply of 18V to 22V. At 12V they will last nearly forever.
Static electricity might destroy them.

Products made in a few countries from unknown manufacturers don't work when brand new and their ICs might fail early too.

Again What is the life-estimation of CMOS ICs 4093 & 4060... ..
If this ic works 24hr from 12v dc power supply !

I have some 4093's working in a home made security system at 12V , 24/7 for the past 33 years!

EDIT: exposed to temperatures ranging from -10C thru 45C

Last edited:
I have some that have been running in systems 24/7/365 for about 30 years. That good enough? They will likely still be running when I am gone. Technically speaking, works fine & last a long time.

Ron

which brand is best for cmos 4093 & cmos 4060...

I have never had a Texas Instruments Cmos IC fail and I have used them for 33 years. Their max voltage rating is higher (at 20V) than most other manufacturers (at 18V).

TI, National Semiconductor (now owned by TI), Hitachi, are the 3 off the top of my head that i think of. you can also look at a data sheet and find the correct part number for military, or other very high reliability and extended temp and voltage range devices (as opposed to standard "consumer" grade devices). they are more expensive, but if you are looking at a very high reliability requirement, it's worth the extra money. if you use electrolytic capacitors in the circuit, they will probably fail long before even a consumer grade cmos chip will. you can, however look up electrolytic caps on Newark and Digi-key's websites, and search using lifetime as a search filter.

Last edited:
if you use electrolytic capacitors in the circuit,
Ok... How many days can this electrolytic capacitors can work with this IC ......

and second thing....
Is there any alternative for electrolytic capacitors..

Nutshell:

There are no simple cut and dried answers to this line of questions. An electrolytic capacitor will last till it fails. Depends on the voltages it runs at as to rated voltages, the complete environment like ambient temperatures and the endless list goes on. There is no finite number.

Ron

which brand is best for cmos 4093 & cmos 4060...
I used to work for a large electronics manufacturer, we used over 1000 4000 series CMOS IC's every day. We used such large quantities that we received credit for defective IC's we returned to the manufacturer. Bad IC"s were sorted by type and manufacturer so they could be returned for credit.
The manufacturer that had the fewest returns was RCA. However RCA no longer makes IC's.

You can get mil spec components that have a life time rating. Other than that it may die the next day.

It is not in the datasheets because it is not relevant to most designs.

According to Wikipedia:
Modern transistorized integrated circuit logic gates have MTBFs greater than 82 billion hours (8.2×1010) hours,[5] and need them because they have so many logic gates.

While not definitive, it is referenced.

John

Reliability depends an far too many factors, but the power supply and trainsients probably contribute the most toward failure.

As a story: A prominent scientific instrument manufacturer sold a $3,000 USD instrument. It kept blowing every 6 months or so at a cost of $1500 for a replacement board. I noticed that there was zero power line conditioning and called them on it.

What I got as an answer: We specify that the power source is 120 V 60 Hz and it's YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to ensure that happens. We can't be responsible for power line fluctuations. Adding a $100 surge suppressor fixed the issues. It was a low-end instrument.

A company made a surge arrestor with a window that showed the little MOV. It was labelled, "If it turns black then send it back".
They all turned black.

Electros last from 3 days to 10 years or more.

It depends on the surrounding heat, the rippple, the quality of the electro
It's an unknown factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back