What is the relation between Btu/h and Watt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arvinfx

I have found the relation on the net witch says every P in (W) equal with 3.4P in (Btu/hr)

But how can I convert this power in electrical power? I have found those two power is different look at this picture:

The read one is the power which I am speaking about, but green one I don't know what is the relation between this one and Btu/h!?

Attachments

• DSC03944.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 1,576
1 btu / hour = 0.29307107 watts thus giving the ratio shown between the two top values.

The input power and current are the two bottom values. The input power is less than the output cooling/heating power since that is what an air conditioner/heat pump does and why a heat pump is more efficient than a simple resistive electrical heater. The SEER or EER rating gives that ratio.

A heat pump can do that since it doesn't create energy but just transfers it from one temperature source, such as the outside ambient, to the input ambient. Thus the input energy is just what it takes to make up the energy difference between the two temperatures.

Air conditioner is a heat pump not a direct heat generators. There is not a direct conversion. You might want to look up the definitions of EER and SEER which are industry figure of merits for air conditioners.

Direct heat energy to BTU conversion is 3412 BTU's/hr equals 1 KW. An electric hot water heater is close to 100% transfer so you can figure directly how many kW/H's it takes to heat 50 gallons by so many degrees.

So, I got the different between those two watts, But Is there any equation to convert electrical watt in BTU/h ?
I need to know how many watt I have to use from a regular vehicle to cool it off . regal heat pump in cars has about 8000 Btu/h power.

So, I got the different between those two watts, But Is there any equation to convert electrical watt in BTU/h ?
I need to know how many watt I have to use from a regular vehicle to cool it off . regal heat pump in cars has about 8000 Btu/h power.
As was stated, there is an equation but you need to know the efficiency rating of the air conditioner to determine how much power it requires for a given cooling capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…