Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is this component

accadaccadm

Hi this little silver cylindrical component has snapped off my key fob I think it's a capacitor but not certain it has s5y1 on it

Attachments

• 20241024_182229.jpg
    20241024_182229.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • 20241024_202120.jpg
    20241024_202120.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 43
S5Y is a type of diode. Believe who you want to believe. If you don't like my answer, you're free to ignore it COMPLETELY. IDGAD

According to this datasheet, the S5Y is a 2000 Volt, 5 Amp rectifier diode. I can't imagine why such a part would be found in a key fob.

But I'm skeptical about it being a capacitor too. It just doesn't look like one, but that may be just the picture.

Please post a picture of the part viewed from the side at ~ a 45 degree angle. Also include in the picture a ruler or some object so we can get an idea of it's size. Post another picture of the board with the location of the part marked. Make sure that all pictures are in focus.

H I really appreciate the input off you all. I have discovered what the component is for definite. I searched with duckduckgo instead of Google and found this on a rover site. My car is a land rover discovery 1996.

"The 3TXA and 3TXB fobs use a canister type crystal for the clock signal, ideally this should be glued to the circuit board but it is only held in place by it's two wire leads. It's common for the wire to fracture where it has been soldered to the board"
Mine had snapped completely at the base off the component.
The component in question is the size of a large grain of rice.
I ordered one for tomorrow but I had a look through my collection of broken stuff and found one in a car radio. It didn't have any numbers but I chanced it and my landy is running again.
My immobiliser circuit board was badly water damaged when I got it but managed at the time to bypass traces and replace few resistors
And it worked for 2 years then died. I thought it was worth a last try with it so I swapped all the chips and transponders over. And the alarm and central locking worked but not the immobiliser. My son was swapping a battery in the key and snapped that component off the fob board.

Glad to see that you consulted multiple sources to resolve the problem. The reason the picture rang a bell was because in the early days of SMT (Surface Mount Technology) manufacturing (ca. 1998) we had to use a "MELF" diode and it was certainly an enormous PITA.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back