Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is this IC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

booliminator

I bought a mixed lot of electronic components a few weeks ago and i ave about 30 of these WD10C20B-PH 28 pin IC's and I have absolutely NO CLUE AT ALL what they are for. I found the datasheet for it and its in the link below, (Link is safe).

If anyone has any clue what this is and what it may be used for lemme know, thanks.

**broken link removed**

They are part of a chipset that physically reads the spinning disc... I doubt very much if it can be used for anything else... They are RLL / MFM decoders.. They clean the output signal and pass the data to another chip in the chipset...

i doubt these are in use anymore... MFM and RLL drives went the way of the dinosaur long ago.... there were some "transition" drives with an IDE interface attached to an MFM drive, most of these were seagate 40Meg drives that were in Compaq "portable" computers.... but that was in 1995 or 1996... i think because Compaq had bought more MFM drives than they needed, and had to adapt their overstock to an IDE (now better known as PATA) interface. to low-level format these drives, they could be disconnected from the IDE adapter board, and formatted with a MFM controller, then be reconnected to the IDE interface. unless you're running some version of DOS those old drives make better paperweights than storage media.

I still use SCSI drives .. On my Amiga ( I know... I should get a life ) ... These things still use MFM to access the drive... Still your right though unclejed.... Doubt you'll find it in SATAII drives;););)

Thanks for the answers... i guess if anyone wants them for whatever... lemme know and we can work out mailing. Not sure if im allowed to say that in these forums, but if im not, I apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back