Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is this??

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangerobot

Hi all,

Noob here. Can someone please tell me what part I need to do the following job? I want to input a varying voltage from 0-5v (using a PIC) and have the output be 0-12v (see sketch below). I know that a transistor can do this but I really need a linear relationship between the input and output voltages. Can someone recommend a specific part for me? Thanks!!!!

____________12v in
____________|
____________|
__________-----
0-6v ---->|____|----> 0-12v
__________-----
____________|
____________|
____________-
____________.
____________Ground

Input Output
----- ------
___0v___0
___1____2
___2____4
___3____6
___4____8
___5___10
___6___12

op amp set up with non-inverting gain of 2. To get the full range of 0 to 12V, though, you're going to have to bias the op-amp from somewhat higher than 12V on the Vdd end and somewhat lower than 0V on the Vss end. You could go for a rail-to-rail op-amp - at least that would get you close to the rails without having to change the power supply.

Yes, use an op-amp, PICs may be good for complex applications but for something simple like this you can't beat an op-amp. I think PICs are often over-used these days, people often use them because they don't know how to do it the "propper way".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back