What is your line voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronsimpson

Most Helpful Member
I have specifications on what the line voltage should be. I understand some countries have voltages that are higher than specified.

What is your line voltage?

Loveland Colorado USA = 119.8 volts.

ron, the exact voltage you get out of the outlet can be highly variable even depending on a huge variety of factors, time being one of them.

As of this post I get 123 volts from live to neutral out of one outlet. This apartment has split phase power for the AC and stove, I didn't check the other phase.
If I'm not mistaken typical accepted mains variation is around 10% at least that's what's listed for many AC motors I've seen. So that would mean 120V US mains would have a possible range of 108-132 volts.

241 Volts at the moment.
New Zealand is officially supposed to be 230 / 400V but more often it is 240 / 415V ± 6%

125/250 tonight! 118/236 when the 15 Hp air compressor cycled a few minutes ago while I was checking.

Skaids right, the acceptable range is usually 108 - 132/216 - 264 in the residential US systems.

Wow, I was right? There's a first!

I think the last time I checked during peak daytime usage I was at 117. The electrical here, though a bit intermittent because we're relatively remote (not relative to tcmtech mind you ) is really rock solid stable.

241 Volts at the moment.
New Zealand is officially supposed to be 230 / 400V but more often it is 240 / 415V ± 6%

Has New Zealand changed from 240 to 230 like the UK has?.

In the past the UK was 240V and the rest of Europe 220V, but a number of years ago it was standardised at 230V.

In practise this only affected manufacturers, who now make equipment designed for 230V - the UK is still 240V and the rest 220V, but both fail within the permitted tolerance of 230V.

Just checked mine, it's 243.9V - varying a little from second to second, I have a mains monitor connected to my computer, which gives you voltage, current, power, real power, power factor, current consumption, current cost, cost since it's been running etc, etc. Nice unit, but it's not backlit, and I have to use a torch to read it

Here in the SE suburbs of Cleveland, Ohio US I typically see 123 VAC @ 60 Hz with a good split of 246 VAC coming into my residence. Overall I see little change between peak demand hours and any other time. The power company seems to do a pretty good job with their delivery.

Ron

Nigel,

New Zealand has the official voltage as 230/400 ±6% listed within the regulations.

I check it now at 2025 hrs and it is 234.6 V

I must have done that previous measurement just after a drop in loading on the network.

Thanks for the replies!
We have a product that, unknown to the end-user, records the line voltage. When the unite come back for service we find numbers that seem high. India and the UK may record 260 volts. Some of our people say, ‘the government says it is 230’, but it actually is 240+10% and a little more.

It's physically impossible to provide an exact line voltage everywhere in a power distribution grid the size of a country. +/-10% should be expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…