Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what kind of controller is recommended for new designs??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take a look at microchip.com

Their PIC controllers are pretty much the best value for the money, and you can be ready to code and program for under $50.

There are least a half dozen makers of micro controllers which are good choices.
Microchip, Atmel, Texas instruments, Cypress semi conductor, are a few that pop into my head. The question you asked is loaded, you're going to get a LOT of responses from people that are devoted to their particular favored line, and as blueroom said your application and specific needs are so important to the equation there's no way to answer the question properly without a LOT more information from you.

Sceadwian/ Blue...on the matter of 18F series...would u rec. the 18f2520 as a decent starter pic for use with swordfish etc?

Sceadwian/ Blue...on the matter of 18F series...would u rec. the 18f2520 as a decent starter pic for use with swordfish etc?
Nope
start with Bills 18f1320 thats on his junebug

You can use a 18f2550 but it a little hard to setup till you get the hang of swordfish

The best chip would be a 18f4520 or the 18f452 they work out of the box and the 18f1320 or 1220 work fine
to.

I love swordfish usb modules but you have to buy swordfish to use them usb don't work with swordfish SE

Last edited:
well i went to electronic store to find out if the newer winCE or linux based chipsets are available but the seller told me those 8951 series are best but they work with C (and lower) languages.
there wasn't any particular application just wanted some information to get started with controllers and their programming stuff.
so which one is the best to start with ?

The 18F2520 is a great chip to use. Plenty of memory and a good number of I/O pins. It's a good chip to start with so you won't be limited by either memory or I/O as you try different things.

Many of the 28 pin 18F-series PICs work with the TAP-28 PIC application board which is a great way to get a low cost start.

well i went to electronic store to find out if the newer winCE or linux based chipsets are available but the seller told me those 8951 series are best but they work with C (and lower) languages.
there wasn't any particular application just wanted some information to get started with controllers and their programming stuff.
so which one is the best to start with ?

You don't have your location filled in - but I imagine you're in India? (or that way somewhere), it seems the only area still using the ancient 8591 series.

As already suggested, PIC's are usually the best for beginners, as they are powerful and easy to use.

But if you're in an area where only older processors are available, and you can't easily get PIC's etc. then you may as well stick with what you can get.

Jon, I can't recommend anything from the PIC line as I've never used them, I've only ever used Atmel's AVR line and even then sparingly, I'm a hobbiest not into this too seriously or for any real production just some tinkering of my own. When I first started I looked at PIC's AVR's and Cypress, I discounted PIC's because they have so many devices it makes the head spin, the AVR architecture is standard across their entire line of chips while with PIC's there is significant differnce between the different series of chips. But PIC's are used more commonly in the industry so it depends on where you're coming to this from. Are you just playing around with some stuff on your own, seriously developing for a commercial interest or something else?

Jon... Are you just playing around with some stuff on your own, seriously developing for a commercial interest or something else?

Hi Sceadwian,

I was specifically replying to Mosiac's question regarding the PIC18F2520 as a good starting point.

I use the PIC18F-series both for my own projects and for some commercial applications. They have been reliable and easy to work with for me.

You ware right - there are a bewildering number of options from Microchip. The 18F2520 is a good general purpose chip with lots of memory and a good list of features. As you develop specific applications, you may need to look at the options. Higher resolution ADCs, 2 hardware UART ports, etc. The product line should include something to fill most needs.

As far a "best" chip or even a "best" manufacturer, my only answer is it depends. It depends on your application. It depends on what programming language you want to use. It depends on what tools you need and what's available. It depends on your background and what you've used in the past. And finally, it depends on price and availability vs. what you intend to use it for. If you're making a one-off board for yourself, delivery time and availability won't be a big concern. Even the cost doesn't make much difference if you're making a few boards. But if you're making a hundred copies, a thousand copies or more, maybe even a few pennies difference in price will be significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back