What kind of switch for remote pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldschool

I am wanting to run a 1/2 hp well pump to irrigate my garden. It will be energized by remote control and send power to the 220V AC well pump.

I have a remote control unit (which is a car key fob) that will activate the remote receiver and temporairily send 12 volts to something that will turn on the pump. That's my mystery. What kind of switch do I need that will stay on after it gets energized?

Press the fob button, pump runs. Press fob again (it has two function buttons) and it will turn off pump.

I seem to be needing an electro-mechanical heavy-duty switch (solenoid operated?) or perhaps a lower voltage switch would be okay because I could utilize some 12V to 220V relays that I have to power the pump.

Can someone offer a name of the type of switch I need to be looking for? Any other suggestions?

thanks!

Your fob has 2 buttons; does the receiver have respective corresponding output connections?. If so, what are their voltage/current ratings?
Can someone offer a name of the type of switch I need
A latching circuit/device.
Relays are one option between receiver and pump, and can be arranged to latch. Or you could use a triac for the switching.

alec_t, thanks for you reply and help for a newbie.

Yes, two relays and terminal block with two different circuits.

The relays read: 15A 120VAC / 7A 250VAC

The relays also have:

10A 250V (followed by a short horizontal wavy line)
and: 10A 30V (followed by short horizontal dash with a dotted line underneath the dash)
I have searched for those symbols, no luck.

"..arranged to latch." I'm am not an expert electronics guy, just a tinkerer. Could you explain a bit further or refer me to a site that would show how to set up relays to do the job?

I just know there is an off-the-shelf part that I can buy and wire up.

The wavy line "~" means AC current like your house has

The other is DC current like your car has.

can you post a link to your wireless device? If you have access to the relay coils, and to the relay NC contacts, you can set up a latching circuit that will do what you want, with no additional parts. But I won't be able to tell you how to do it without seeing it.

thanks, tcmtech.

strantor, I will dig up what I can, but it was bought from an ebay guy and is a automotive key fob with a two channel function. I got this particular one because it has a 440 foot range. $17 with shipping!

KMoffett, great suggestions! I will look at the range these devices have.

KMoffett,
Thanks for suggesting these links to off-shelf products. They are exactly what I needed. I'm a woodworker and briefly considered a remote dust control unit, but assumed that the range was not there. The links show 1000 feet! More than enough! Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…