Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What program should I use for serial port communications in xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

user1453

hi

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a program to use for communications with a PIC over the com port using windows XP.

Any suggestions?

If you just want to do testing then either hyperterm (comes with windows) or a similar program like putty, several others out there.
Just make sure you set the program for the com port, baud rate, and parity.

If you want to write a custom app both visual basic and C# are good choices with easy to use communication via the com port.

user1453 said:
hi

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a program to use for communications with a PIC over the com port using windows XP.

Any suggestions?

hi,
If its only for PIC development, try mine. AmComm.
You will need a copy of the Visual Basic runtime files from the web, [free]

https://www.box.net/shared/exe6ip21ls

Hi I have great results in communicating with these Serial emulators. I prefer most COMPORT TOOL KIT. Because it has a nice Visual interface & Display times.

Also I have experienced with those software’s too in WINXP.

*Eltima.Advanced.Serial.Port.Terminal.v5.0.4.62.

*Com Port Tool kit

*AMCOMM

*Tera Term

*Quick 3270

There are packages for the PC that do this for RS232 or RS485. Com Port Tool kit is one of these. They require 2 RS232 ports and most/all(?) are time limited demos.

Pickit2 comes with a serial line analyzer package that might be nice to have if you are going to be working with serial communication.

The next time a student comes looking for a project we could suggest a PIC based multi protocol serial line analyzer that does RS232/RS485/PS2/USB. Connect to PC via USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back