What questions you'd ask to a person to determine if he worthy of being an engineer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sram

Electronic engineer that is. Let's make them ten questions, and it will be great if an ideal answer is associated with each question. I want to use these questions as a base for evaluating some engineers who apply for jobs.

All contributions are highly appreciated.

Thanks

I don't think you get a say in whether somebody is " worthy"
Do you mean "ability" "qualifications " or perhaps "personal hygene "
You probably need to be more specific

If you mean "How do I decide if I want someone to work for me "
Its based on a personal evaluation of presentation , qualifications , confidence and quite a few others that just become apparent during your interview.

I mean knowledge, and putting that knowledge to use.

Example: Will you accept an Electrical/Electronic Engineer who doesn't understand Ohm's law?

Imagine that I have seen buddies with an electrical certificate who are not competent in math. I hate that and don't accept it.

I interviewed some electronic engineers for a design job. Many didn't know anything about electronics. They also had a difficult time speaking in English. Maybe they "bought" their engineering diploma in their country.

I'll second the "it's not the Worthy" as much as "would you hire" take.

From what I've heard and seen, most companies get it right: the HR (human resources) sorts out the completely inappropriate at 1st level. Candidates then talk to those who know what you'll be doing, because they can tell if You do.

I got out (went independent) when the bean-counters took control over the tech-visionaries. I may have disagreed with some of the visions' directions, but at least they had a clue as to resource requirements and timetables.

I am an industrial electrician who hates math and does not have any MBA too, but I can fix anything.
The point is what do you really need ? Expertness or Theory .

Last edited:
Put a Tektronix 465 in front of him with a little digital circuit and have him measure the period, pulse width and voltage of the signal. If an "engineer" is book smart but doesn't know a BNC from a D & C and can't use a scope for even simple measurements, he's worthless.

They don't teach you which end of the soldering iron you pick up. I accidebtly picked up the wrong end when the power/lights went out. actually I tripped on the cord and tried to catch the soldering iron.

When I was at Maxim, interviewing supposed analogue engineers, the first question we would ask candidates was to sketch the waveform of the voltage across a capacitor when being charged by a constant current. That would remove 30% of candidates. I always think you should start simple and get more complicated as the interview goes on. If the candidate really is not up to the job, you are just giving him enough rope - he will take care of hanging himself. Be friendly and not put the candidate under too much pressure - his nerves will do that for him. I always allow them to make mistakes, as long as his method for arriving at the result is correct.

As for finding out if he is a good engineer, he needs the ability to think creatively, yet using tried and tested theory, have the ability to learn (engineering is constantly changing) and be able to get on with people...

We get kids from school on work experience, so I always ask if they have interests in electronics, and for those that do I throw them a couple of resistors and ask what value they are.

I imagine even that crude a test would eliminate a number of supposed 'degree' level applicants.

As an ex residential, industrial, oilfield, maintenance electrician with an associates degree in electronics (1970), I don't think any one should get an engineering degree until they've had at least one year of in the field hands on experience in the trade. I've been on jobs where we did the planning, layout, testing etc. while the engineer watched, then turned in what we had done as his design.
Kinarfi

When a glass half full of water is placed in front of you, you will be asked if it's half full, or half empty.

A true engineer will respond, "The glass is twice as big as it needs to be."

A engineer must find out why the glass is too big. Most people don't care.

Maybe the water is too small.

That's a wise point of view, but there is so many different fields so to become specialized.
If you seek for fresh engineers, you will have to train them and help them so to help you, there is no other way.

I had work with such fresh engineers, he was supposed to be my own supervisor, and he was continually mad and nervous because of the fear,
that he had the responsibility's of the job.
Like if there is some delay , or a small problem , he would had to apologize to the big Boss.
I told him, that he must to trust me, and I will just do my best as always.
The project did go well, everything was perfect, and I can say that I saved his little ass.

Engineers and technicians we are at the same chain, every one needs help.
And so my advice would be, to be soft with the fresh engineers no matter what.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…