Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What the ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

williB

Well i got my package from national Semi today..
to my shock and surprize ,
I swear to you it is no bigger than than the dot at the right of thr pic below...
WHAT the hell am i going to do with it ?!?!???..

a large ant could very probably carry it away

Attachments

• a_107.gif
    a_107.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 862
Hi Willi,
You got yourself a mess of trouble with that tiny thingy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Count yourself lucky you did not order a BGA instead!

The package has a 0.5mm pitch, that is just about solderable with a fine nib iron, plenty of flux and load up the pads and pins (well actually they are pads as well) with a small amount of solder before placing. then you should just have to heat the pad a little. It will be very fiddley though, it is very easy to solder the pins together. good luck :)

williB said:
Well i got my package from national Semi today..
to my shock and surprize ,
I swear to you it is no bigger than than the dot at the right of thr pic below...
WHAT the hell am i going to do with it ?!?!???..

a large ant could very probably carry it away
How could you be surprised by this? Did you not even look at what you were ordering? :roll:

i knew it wasnt available in PDIP..
i thought it would be a normal sized chip (whatever ) it was ..
But this thing is literally microscopic....
i held it up to the screen , and it fits inside these smileys, except for the corners.. :roll:

hope you've learned a lesson... always look for the package info :)

my roommates last year were doing their senior projects for EE, and they were ordering tons of parts on a weekly basis from digikey, and I can't count the number of times they gave me piles of free parts because they accidentally ordered some microscopic surface-mount parts instead of leaded packages because they didn't look at the package type when ordering, and I was the only one of the group who etched PCB's and actually used such small parts :lol:

Have you noticed that many new ICs aren't made in a dip case for us hobbiests anymore?

14 pins, that kind of package without leads, and that small, cant say that i envy you :lol:

looks like youll have to get some solder paste or whatever you call it, then put it in the oven :lol:

evandude said:
hope you've learned a lesson... always look for the package info :)

my roommates last year were doing their senior projects for EE, and they were ordering tons of parts on a weekly basis from digikey, and I can't count the number of times they gave me piles of free parts because they accidentally ordered some microscopic surface-mount parts instead of leaded packages because they didn't look at the package type when ordering, and I was the only one of the group who etched PCB's and actually used such small parts :lol:
you are saying you could make a board to use this chip ?
how would you solder the lil' beasty on there?

audioguru said:
Have you noticed that many new ICs aren't made in a dip case for us hobbiests anymore?
i know why is that.
i mean somone has to breadboard these things to try them out..No?

zachtheterrible said:
14 pins, that kind of package without leads, and that small, cant say that i envy you :lol:

looks like youll have to get some solder paste or whatever you call it, then put it in the oven :lol:
so thats how they do it..

williB said:
you are saying you could make a board to use this chip ?

that would definitely stretch the limits of my board-making abilities :lol: it would probably take several tries, and I'd probably have to find someone with a high-DPI laser printer (like 1200 DPI instead of 600) to get an accurate toner pattern made in the first place... for soldering it I'd have to try to get permission to use a SMD hot-air rework station at work, and reflow solder it with solder paste... probably applied with a needle :wink: (I don't have a toaster oven)

however... that would only be an absolute last resort, only to be attempted if the part was absolutely necessary, and if it ONLY came in that small of a package :)

If your package came directly from NSC, I would assume that you received a free engineering sample. You may not have had a choice in package styles and most of the manufacturers today are sending their stuff out in SMT where it was all DIP samples back in the 1980s.

The samples are a good way to get some stock of cutting-edge parts. Maxim, TI and NSC were always the best providers (Maxim being the best) and AD was good, too. I figured it up once and checked out the prices on the samples I had as they sold retail and discovered that after collecting for about 8 years, I had over $6000 in parts. Yes, I got samples in the mail nearly every day.

Dean

WilliB, What is this IC and What is the Schematic?
I could see all the part number.

Possibly I could make a board for you. I've done some of these before.

If you use a very small Soldering tip and Low Temperature solder, it is possible to use a small iron to do this. (Under a Big Magnifying Glass)

And in a Few more Years, All Dip Packages will be Obsolete.

ALWAYS BUY DIP PACKAGING FOR IC'S!

Here's why. All other package types are for machines to use! How are we supposed to work with them without 500% vision? (you get it), PLUS some of them have pins on 4 sides.

with DIP packaging, it is alot easier to manage, the pins are bigger, and you won't have to worry about buying a ridiculously fine tip soldering iron to prevent touching two leads. DIP devices also work with breadboards ;)

so PLEASE only use DIP packaging unless you have a special machine that builds circuits.

and SMT's are ridiculous for me too. If I remember, Zachtheterrible, another member here pointed out that he had to use tweezers to fit SMT devices in place.

I understand that space is saved with the small devices, but the parts are wasted if you buy them and you can't even use them properly.

I wouldn't go that far.

yes, DIP is by far the easiest for prototyping and hobby use... however, surface mount is definitely advantageous in many cases when it comes time to actually make PCB's for things. MOST of my projects require the board to be as small as possible, so naturally SMD is the key to that. also, using SMD means you don't have to drill as many holes, or clip as many leads.

I agree, insanely small parts like these no-leaded chips is overkill, and not really worth it.

however, I very regularly use 0805 package discretes, and SOIC package IC's; the 0805's do require tweezers to solder, however they are really not any harder to solder than regular leaded resistors. I guarantee I could solder on a dozen 0805 resistors faster than you could solder on the same number of through-hole leaded resistors :lol: and SOIC package IC's aren't very hard either; they are still coarse-pitch enough to individually solder each pin with a soldering iron, as long as you're careful. the key with soldering SMD IC's is that you can use a solder sucker, or desoldering braid, to remove excess solder if you bridge two pins together. when I have soldered chips with even finer pitches (SSOP/TSSOP, etc) I usually just intentionally bridge all the pins together with solder, and then suck off the excess; it leaves just the solder between the pins and the pads; a perfect connection.

TI has many class-D switching audio amp ICs in surface-mount packages. They have very small leads at the sides but have a heatsink in the middle underneath that must be soldered somehow to the pcb.

Another impossible to solder by hand package has many "bumps" on its bottom. Each bump is one of its connection points.

National Semi has a tiny microphone preamp IC that is designed to replace the surface-mount FET in electret microphones. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back