Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What type capacitor would i need to run more then one LED or do i even need one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rmac

wanted to know why you use capacitors with LEDs i know what capacitors do they store a charge or something like that. Well i wanted to make a led strip for my car like under the dash its a old car like a 1986 buick regal. i was thinking if the LEDs run off of 3.5v then just like 4 of them would take up one sock it [12V]. Now you get it ? Would i need a capacitor or a few to make more then just 4 LEDs to work? THANKS ANY HELP WILL BE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANY HELP WILL HELP:D

You need a series resistor to limit current or your LEDs will burn out right away. For more LEDs put 4 more in series with a resistor but separate from the first group. Limit the current in each string to 25ma or less. Google on "Ohm's Law". Hope that's clear enough.

thanks so much yea i know about Ohm's law but i was thinking a capacitor would store a charge cuz my Vcc is 12V(my car) and nothing more well maybe 12-14V when i have it in park its a 12V and Drive its around 13-14V. I was planing on putting like 20-40 LEDs so my thought was if i but a resistor the power(light would go down) so that why i say capacitor. am i right or wrong =]

thanks so much yea i know about Ohm's law but i was thinking a capacitor would store a charge cuz my Vcc is 12V(my car) and nothing more well maybe 12-14V when i have it in park its a 12V and Drive its around 13-14V. I was planing on putting like 20-40 LEDs so my thought was if i but a resistor the power(light would go down) so that why i say capacitor. am i right or wrong =]

You're wrong.

You're wrong.

gona learn some how thanks for your input. =]
so puting them in series would be the best?
if you could tell me a blue print?
this is what i think one would like like
LED3.5V~LED3.5V~LED3.5V~1kOhm~LED3.5 and so on wont the Vcc go down, and then the lights will dim?:confused:
thanks =]:D

You have a 12V supply, so you can only place three or so LED's in series, along with a current limiting resistor - depending on the voltage drop of the individual LED's.

So you simply wire them in batches of three, each batch with it's own resistor.

You have a 12V supply, so you can only place three or so LED's in series, along with a current limiting resistor - depending on the voltage drop of the individual LED's.

So you simply wire them in batches of three, each batch with it's own resistor.

so when i do this "batches" is that gona be in series to?
would i notice the drop in the LED?
thanks

Work out the current on 12V, and on 14V - see what the difference is. If you think it's too much, then just use two LED's in series with a higher value resistor, this will mean less current drop from 14V to 12V.

You could use a constant current source, but it's probably not justified for your application.

Work out the current on 12V, and on 14V - see what the difference is. If you think it's too much, then just use two LED's in series with a higher value resistor, this will mean less current drop from 14V to 12V.

You could use a constant current source, but it's probably not justified for your application.

will do thanks for you help.

i'll keep you posted on how it go's:D
thanks again have a good day ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back