Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What will Changing the Capacitance/tor in a ac-dc Transformer Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techster

I've been taking apart some basic "wall wart" tramsformers that I've salvaged from junk over the years to use for tinkering, and now I'm wanting to see if there's any way I can 'improve' them in any way ;)

I see that they all have a capacitor rated for around 1000 microfarads & 25v. I have some 2200uF 25v caps and so I was wondering what would happen if I swapped one of those in for the 1000uF one...? Can anyone just tell me the basic effect that increasing or decreasing the capacitance on a circuit like this would have?

It's been a while since I took that ElecEngr class so my memory has gotten fuzzy & I barely recognize any of the stuff in my EE textbook anymore :eek:

thanks in advance for any help!

In general to get a 1V ripple you need 10,000:mu:F per amp, so for 1V of ripple on a 500mA transformer use a 6,800:muF capacitor. Remember the component tollerences mean you really need to select a value that's 20% bigger than the ccalculation states.

Basically the bigger capacitor is going to give you a higher pulse current ability and a lower ripple at higher loads.

capacitor size

Sceadwian said:
Basically the bigger capacitor is going to give you a higher pulse current ability and a lower ripple at higher loads.
Just don't over do it. Depending on the diode ratings, they may be damaged if the electrolytic cap has too high a value due to the initial charging current required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back