Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to buy 1/4 watt carbon film resistor assortments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneslowz28

It seems that no one sells a large assortment (20+ values) of through hole carbon film resistors. I would like to buy a few assortments to stock up. I have searched the web and only got hits for radio shack who I try to avoid at all cost due to a bad past experience. So does any one have any links to large assortments?

I bought this assortment on E-bay. Received it in 10 days.

**broken link removed**

Lefty

If you are buying for 'shelf stock' for new projects I would buy metal film.
They can be used on any project and their operating characteristics are stable.

Carbon film resistors are unsuitable for many applications, especially amplifiers.

Value Packs

My favorite parts place for the simple stuff.
Very low prices for parts, shipping and no minimum.
I always get the stuff within 10 days, usually 7.
If they have to back order a part your delivery will take longer. You then have to tell them to ship what they have and ship the rest later.

Last edited:
Personally I enjoyed doing business with **broken link removed**, the transaction was fast. However, a survey of the resistors showed them to be ~2% rather than 1%.

It seems that no one sells a large assortment (20+ values) of through hole carbon film resistors. I would like to buy a few assortments to stock up. I have searched the web and only got hits for radio shack who I try to avoid at all cost due to a bad past experience. So does any one have any links to large assortments?

I can supply you with an Assortment of 5% resistors, if you want.
I stock Most Values, so you can also request what you want.

Probably 2 cents each, plus the shipping cost. but you don't say where you live?

Gary

If you are using solderless breadboards then 1/4 are a good choice because the wires are stiff and fit well in the board.

If you are not using a solderless BB and doing digital work I would go with 1/8 watt resistors. They allow for a more compact layout.

Many years ago, I worked with an engineer who was designing small signal opamp amplifiers. We measured and hand selected 1/4W carbon resistors attempting to obtain matched circuits. He wanted to know if soldering had any effect on the resistors. We set up an experiment. I believe we chose 1K, 10K, 100K and 1M. Soldered them in a scrap board. Took resistance measurements every hour, then every day. The heating from soldering substantially changed their resistance. It took weeks before they got close to their original values. I don't believe we ever saw them return to their original measured values.

We ran the same experiment with 1/4W metal film resistors. Within about a day they returned to their original resistance. At that point we no longer used carbon resistors for anything that required accuracy. Eventually we did away with using carbon resistors altogether.

I wish I could find the actual data. The experiment was run 20 years ago.

creakndale

I have used carbon film American and European resistors in audio circuits for 40 years and never had a problem. Metal film can have a slightly lower noise level and are good as power resistors.
I don't buy cheap Chinese parts on E-Bay.

The last resistor assortment I bought at a local store was 480 1/4W 5% carbon film resistors by Velleman of Belgium. I paid $13.00.
Guess what! They are MADE IN CHINA. They are fine. The colour bands look like they are painted by a machine instead of a little Chinese girl.

EDIT: I didn't pay $13.00. I bought them because they were on sale for half price.

Last edited:
I would recommend the E12 series, 10, 12, 15, 18, 22, 27, 33, 39, 47, 56, 68, 82 values from 10R to 1M.

Get the E24 series, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 27, 30, 33, 36, 39, 43, 47, 51, 62, 67, 75, 82, 91 values, if you can.

I have the E12 series from 1R to 10R and 1M to 10M and the E24 series for 10R to 1M. I also have odd values <1R and >10M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back