Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to get programming hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy1845c

Can anyone recommend a PIC Programmer for me to start learning to program PICs with? Is the Parallel Port ICP PIC Programmer and Programming Adaptor Board that Nigel has a link to on his site ( ) all I would need to start with? Along with a PIC ofcourse, and somthing like Nigels LED board to test it after I program it?

I would recommend a serial port programmer if at all possible, they're usually less of a hassle and serial ports are more common than printer ports nowdays since USB came around.

Maybe you should look into an ICD

Andy1845c said:
Can anyone recommend a PIC Programmer for me to start learning to program PICs with? Is the Parallel Port ICP PIC Programmer and Programming Adaptor Board that Nigel has a link to on his site ( ) all I would need to start with? Along with a PIC ofcourse, and somthing like Nigels LED board to test it after I program it?

You may want to look at the inchworm kit. It is a programmer and an "In Circuit Debugger" aka ICD. It allows you to step through your code and view data on you actual target system.

The kit is under $40.
See the inchworm review at the top of this "Micro Controller" catagory.
You can use it with a solderless breadboard if you solder solid wires to the ends of the ribbon cable provided with the kit.

3v0

3v0 said:
You may want to look at the inchworm kit. It is a programmer and an "In Circuit Debugger" aka ICD. It allows you to step through your code and view data on you actual target system.

The kit is under $40.
See the inchworm review at the top of this "Micro Controller" catagory.
You can use it with a solderless breadboard if you solder solid wires to the ends of the ribbon cable provided with the kit.

3v0

Hmmm, looks pretty stright forward.... I even happen to have a solderless breadboard:D Where can one order this from?

Sceadwian said:
I would recommend a serial port programmer if at all possible, they're usually less of a hassle and serial ports are more common than printer ports nowdays since USB came around.

Well really the complete reverse is true!, a proper serial port programmer (like the Inchworm) is the best solution - but in order to be that way it MUST have a processor on board. The cheap 'serial port' programmers don't actually use the serial port at all, they 'wiggle' the handshake lines - and many of these have serious reliabilty problems because they tend to require the handshake lines to be above the RS232 spec.

Andy1845c said:
Hmmm, looks pretty stright forward.... I even happen to have a solderless breadboard:D Where can one order this from?

Inchworm - self-assembly ICD2 clone
Microchip MPLAB compatible programmer and debugger. $36 USD
http://www.dipmicro.com/shop/index.php

You may want to check out the parts for sale there.

What Nigel said is correct. There are Serial Port and Parallel port programers that are built up out of diodes, resistors, and transistors for the most part. The PIC-Programmer 2 at **broken link removed** is an example of such a programmer. They do allow you to program processors but there is no run control (step, run, breakpoints). The Inchworm and other ICD2 clones program too, but also have the run control/debug capability.

3v0

Last edited:
The serial Inchworm is the better choice for the money.

I have an inchworm, P16PRO40 and USB2 ICD2 clone. I use the USB2 unit for the speed and size. But in the middle of a project, the USB chip lost the flash.. I had just loaned the inchworm to my Grandfather 5 hours+ from my house (tring to get him into PICs as he is retired now).

That was when I realized having serial seems to be worth the slower speed. Less parts to break..

Also, the inchworm is built solid, parts are DIP and easy to get and replace.

Only advantage to USB over serial is if you have a laptop without serial :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back