Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to get the core of a 25W wire wound resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazur50

I am looking to make my own slotcar controller. and in the pic below the conpany is using a coil as a wiper block compared to other companys that yous pc board for the wiper block.

the coil looks to be the inside. of a wirewound resistor. with out the ceramic around it. is there a place to get something like this. also i opened a 1k 10w unit and there was no nicrome wire. it was paper.

let me know if anyone has a source to get somthing like this.

thanks
Mike

**broken link removed**

That isn't the best way of doing it, PWM is the best way.

mike,

**broken link removed**

Ken

I have a few of those KMoffet, my EE friend at his work calls them Dog Turds :)

They are usually very low Ohm Rating, because the coils of resistive wire have to get thinner and closer together. I would expect to see them between 1 and 1k ohms.

They do make adjustable wirewound power resistors that have a strip of area exposed to the windings. They appear to be made for occasional adjustment - not the continuous wear from a controller. I do recall seeing what you are describing. I also agree with the comment on PWM but it may be beyond your means to implement in this application.

If you lived near me I'd describe the location of the surplus store where you could walk in and find the resistor I am describing - and you'd probably be able to obtain it for a dollar or so US.

Krumlink,
In the link I posted to the Ohmite 210 series adjustable power resistors they have up to 10K for 12W, up to 25K for 25W and up to 100K for 50W and above.

Stevez,
My link is to what you are describing, and are available from most large electronics distributors...Newark, Allied,... The windings on some of these are very closely spaced, and with a carbon motor brush for a slide contact can be used for a linear variable pot. I did this many years ago to make the elevation control on a yoke for Microsoft Flight Simulator, with a 100W one, for about 6" or travel.

Mike,
Allied Electronics used to be headquartered in Chicago.

Ken

Last edited:
Mike - nice, thanks. The carbon brush bears the brunt of the wear and tear. Not efficient but it's all we had at the time. Good idea for crude but probably reliable linear position indicator.

We've got a nice surplus store here in Rochester (NY not MN) - much of the stuff is older technology but still quite useful. Prices are relatively good. On some stuff it helps to look at the part then work out solutions to problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back