Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to start? Water sensor switching 110v pump off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustinB

I've been searching around trying to find something to sense water and turn a 110v pump off.

Basically I have a saltwater aquarium with a protein skimmer, every now and then the adjustment get's off and has a possibility to overflow. I was thinking of having a water sensor in the collection cup near the top. When the water level rises in the cup, the sensor will trigger something to cut power to the pump.

I've found circuits for sensing water so that part isn't really a problem, I understand the various ways to go about that. I need an idea on how I could shut off power to a 110v AC device. Do I need a relay or is there something to use for this? Don't really need a circuit, just an idea of what parts I could use.

Would it be something like using some type of relay to break a leg of the AC line?

Thanks

If simple float switch is not OK for you then this basic idea found somewhere in the NET may help. use isolated magnet to float on the water surface, and a reed switch outside the container to switch ON or OFF according to the position of the magnet.

Well I've never done anything with AC so I'm unsure as to how I would actually break the AC circuit. Are there float switches or reed switches to break an AC circuit?

A switch can be used to bread either AC or DC, in fact AC switches tend to be smaller for the same power rating because there's less of an arc when the circuit is broken.

Many float switches can be found using Google.
float siwtch - Google Search

Well I've never done anything with AC so I'm unsure as to how I would actually break the AC circuit. Are there float switches or reed switches to break an AC circuit?

hi Dustin,
Use the magnet and read switch that 'aljamri' has suggested, connect the reed using a small DC power supply [wallwart say 12Vdc] to a SSR, to control a SSR [ solid state relay].

Thanks for the input everyone. The reed switch seems like the most cost effective solution considering the other parts and materials I already have laying around.

I agree with the reed switch idea, but I would put in two assembleys, with the switches in series. Sort of like they do, by law, in microwave ovens. Water can leave such a mess! E

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back