Which battery to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of u might have already seen my queries abt LiPo ICs in here

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/lithium-ion-charging-ics.104595/

, i wont elaborate...

Which battery should I use if i wish to charge it under constant voltage of 4.2V and varying current of 20-200mA?

My preferences are good charge retention, small in size, less charging circuit complexity etc..

The current to the batteries will vary continuously from 20-200mA while the voltage can be fixed at 4.2 to 5V...

And the discharge should be fairly good too..

So which battery should I use? Lithium Polymer, NiMH or any other type of battery?

Then use AAA or AA cells if button cells won't provide enough current.

Last edited:
If the current is kept low enough, it's very easy.

You said your solar panels put out 200mA maximum, which is <0.1C for a 2500mAH NiMH cell.

Li-ion batteries can't do this and should never be charged continuously, even at very low currents.

Last edited:
Energizer says to reduce the trickle charge current to 1/40th of C for long life with their Ni-MH cells.

Energizer says to reduce the trickle charge current to 1/40th of C for long life with their Ni-MH cells.

The datasheet assumes that the batteries are going to be left permanently connected to the mains 24/7, with no break.

In this case they are being charged from solar cells so they will have a break for at least 8 hours (in summer) so it doesn't matter, they'll be fine at 0.1C, if not even slightly higher.

Charge stability shouldn't be a problem if they're charged every day.

You can buy hybrid NiMH batteries which hold the charge more and come ready charged but their capacity is slightly lower than that of a normal cell of the same size.

You can buy hybrid NiMH batteries which hold the charge more and come ready charged but their capacity is slightly lower than that of a normal cell of the same size.
All the Energizer Ni-MH cells are the new type. They are made in Japan maybe by Sanyo who also make the new ones.
Energizer's 9V Ni-MH battery is not the new type and is made in Germany.

So NiMH batteries would be my best bet... Thanx guys.. Now the next step.. Any ICs for charging them under constant voltage and varying current?

Here's how I'd do it.

There's no need to limit the current, this circuit limits the voltage only.

It will only fully charge the cells if the voltage is above 5.1V.

I'm not 100% certain it's all right to charge NiMH cells in this manner, wait for Mr Al or someone who knows better to commend before building it.

EDIT:
This circuit charges three NiMH cells, if you need to charge four you'll need to increase the voltage.

Attachments

• Solar NiMH charge&#1.PNG
    861 bytes · Views: 148
Last edited:
Here's how I'd do it.

There's no need to limit the current, this circuit limits the voltage only.

It will only fully charge the cells if the voltage is above 5.1V.

Do u mean the i/p voltage? I'l add an ic to regulate the voltage to 5V no matter whatever the i/p voltage is..

So no matter how long i charge the batteries they won't be fully charged?

And abt TL431, its a voltage regulator right?

Last edited:
Yes, it's a voltage TL431.

As I said above, the input voltage needs to be above 5.1V in order to charge the batteries so if it's below 5.1V they will never fully charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…