Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which comes first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMD

As I get ready to actually try and build my first, functional, micro controller project, a question popped into my head. What is usually designed and built first, the program or the circuit?

KMD said:
As I get ready to actually try and build my first, functional, micro controller project, a question popped into my head. What is usually designed and built first, the program or the circuit?
I stared with building simple circuit for Flashing LED's and after it was finnished I did the Software for it... You can get such programs on the Net, so you can try the HW part...

Oh, and please read The Sticky...

Normally
Hardware defines software
which means software is based oon kind of hardware
So always better to design hardware

Normally, one would first design the hardware, but while doing that keep your software limitations (and posibilities) in mind.

The first thing you should buy is a ziff socket, because youll be poppin that chip in and out and in and out and inoutin again.

KMD said:

A great deal really depends on what it needs to do, but obviously the software can't be written without knowing what the hardware is.

I would suggest you need to think about BOTH in the planning stages, and it's probably a VERY! good idea to leave a few spare I/O pins in the design - just in case you suddenly find a need for an extra one or two!.

For an example of this thinking, consider another thread in this forum - about wanting to read three keys with only two pins. This is obviously a case of trying to make the software fit the existing hardware - and the decision would have been better made at an earlier planning stage, rather than after the hardware is built. It's quite possible that the decision may have been made to allocate only two pins (or only one pin?) at the planning stage - and that wouldn't be a problem, you would obviously have the software in mind for doing it that way.

So, in my opinion, you design the hardware FIRST, but keep the software very much in mind during that process - far easier to have hardware that makes the software easy, than hardware that makes the software difficult!.

LOL
i agree with everyone , design the hardware first ..
because without the hardware in place how can you write a program to interface it??

Just 2 go against the threads :wink: , design the software first :lol: ...
Just kidding, but u should get the idea first, then get much in2 the hardware part, and the idea = software, no???

I mean by idea what the project is. You could write down the algorithm in flowcharts, or pseudo-code, just in order to clear some things up: how many I/O ports u need, and hardware stuff like that...
I hope this helps :) ...

Thanks guys, these suggestions have helped me plan out the project with a little more confidence.

you must know 1st the bascics about the hardware

then buy the hardware

finally

write the programme

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Agent 009

the logic say that offcorse i am with you

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know how much confidence I have :) , what if I just have endless enthusiasm?

good luck then logical man

& from the good to the better (lebanese)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back