Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which is more important volt or current regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrel

Hello
I would like to know which is more important to have a voltage or current regulator.
I have a solar cell that put out 12 volt with around 5 watts output with no load.
I want to use the solar cell to charge Nickel metal hydride battery 1.2 volt.
Want to charge maybe one battery or maybe more than one at different time.
Is there a circuit somewhere that automatic disconnect the solar cell from the battery once the battery is fully charge by the solar cell ?
Thank for the help,mrel

For charging NiMH batteries you should have a current regulator. A voltage regulator would cause high charging currents.

Unfortunately there's no easy way to tell when a NiMH battery is fully charged. Thus if you want to charge the battery at higher than it's trickle charge rate, you need a special circuit to determine when the battery is charged. This may involve a temperature sensor that detects when the battery is heating up, which indicates it's charged. Companies such a Linear Technology and TI sell ICs just for charging batteries.

A homemade charger that you could perhaps adapt to your needs is at NiCd Battery Charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back