Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which is more stable

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinarfi

In the attached drawing, I used 5k resistors in the Wheatstone Bridge, If I change the resistors from 5 to 10k or even a 100K or higher, will it effect the stability of the circuit. The power is supplied by car battery, so supply loading shouldn't be a problem. As I said on the attachment, My guess is NO.
But it will make the 50 ohm pot more precise.
Is having a higher current flow more or less stable than a lower current flow for the same voltage, or is it the same?

Kinarfi

Attachments

• post.PNG
    post.PNG
    13.6 KB · Views: 154
Some light reading.

I'm thinking you should be using fixed resistors (stable, 1% metal film) which are ~ the same value as the foil resistors.

Last edited:
The amount of current flow really has little to do with stability. As Mike stated it's likely best to use stable fixed resistors approximately equal in value to the strain-gage resistors.

But that may not improve your temperature stability. If not, you might try using a heat gun at a low heat level to change the temperature of various parts of the circuit to see if you can determine specifically what is temperature sensitive.

I suggest to use 0.1% tolerance metal film resistors as they are used in DMMs. They have a very low temperature drift.

From 0.1% resistor tolerance you can expect not more than 0.1% input offset, which should be corrected within the amplifier circuit.

Boncuk

Thank You gentlemen, pretty much what I expected, current not so important, correct resistor choice is. Mike, that's not so lite. :)
Thanks Again,
Kinarfi

I have found an example of where more current is more stable than less current, on my present project, fuel gauge, I am finding that as I test the circuit by attaching my DSO-2150 usb scope to the circuit, it changes everything, the scope leads have a 1 Meg input resistance and 25pf to ground and my Fluke DVM has an 11 Meg input impedance. If the resistor used in a circuit, are in 10s of K ohms and only a few 100s of K ohms, my scope and meter will have very little effect. Mike's design works great on Spice and seems to be working, but I can't get it to work and can't figure out why because of the test equipment loading.
Kinarfi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back