Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which one for project

Status
Not open for further replies.

pico

I want to get a project rolling which needs a single chip controller. I have programmed small programs in asm on Z80 and 8088 and a few others, so I can handle machine code but not too sure of the other higher level languages. My needs: optical encoder monitors speed of a motor. If a timeout occurs or speed decays stop the motor.

What platform should I choose?
Are the atmega, PIC and basicstamp all different platforms?

Opinions on this: Arduino Diecimila $39.95 Arduino - HomePage

I would suggest you look at PIC or Atmega, the stamp (and presumably Arduino?) are expensive boards, not just processors - the stamp runs interpreted BASIC slowly, so isn't that great a choice.

I agree with Nigel.

The most powerful PICs or AVRs may be bought for a lot less than the Arduino sells for. The Arduino and stamp are made for those who are scared of assembly language. If you are comfortable in machine language, you should have no trouble with assemby for either PIC or AVR.

I've just learned that the Arduino uses Atmega chips and is programmed in C, so both of you have a good point.

Is there a particular PIC kit I should check out to get started? The Arduino gets me going for 40$. Any idea of cost for a USB development board for the PIC?

I've just learned that the Arduino uses Atmega chips and is programmed in C, so both of you have a good point.

Is there a particular PIC kit I should check out to get started? The Arduino gets me going for 40$. Any idea of cost for a USB development board for the PIC?

The best deal that I know of is Bill's (Blueroom electronics) Junebug development board. Bill is a member of this forum. It is like a PICkit2 and development board rolled into one.

blueroomelectronics - Smart Kits Build Smart People**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back