Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaston

I am new to micrcontrollers. i am going to build the programing board on nigel's web site. I looked in the jameco catalog to buy a pic but there are too many, Which one should i buy. and what do the suffixes mean? I alson bought a book on picbasic will the commands be the same for the programer on nigel's site?

Gaston said:
I am new to micrcontrollers. i am going to build the programing board on nigel's web site. I looked in the jameco catalog to buy a pic but there are too many, Which one should i buy. and what do the suffixes mean? I alson bought a book on picbasic will the commands be the same for the programer on nigel's site?

The tutorials on my site are written in PIC assembler, not BASIC, so a book on BASIC won't help with the tutorials (and requires you to buy a BASIV compiler).

Most of my tutorials use the PIC16F628, the exact number on one in my hand is PIC16F628-04/P. The 04 means it's rated at 4MHz, but the 20MHz version is completely interchangeable, the P at the end means it's a standard Plastic DIP chip.

You can use start with 16f628A or with 16f84A. But you will need the datasheets of these micros. You can use the nopic programmer to programm these micros. I myself is using nopic programmer for three years without any problems. I even extended this nopic to programe pic16f72, pic 16f877A. I am using winpicpr and oshonpic programmer v 1.7. :)

mr_singh said:
You can use start with 16f628A or with 16f84A. But you will need the datasheets of these micros. You can use the nopic programmer to programm these micros. I myself is using nopic programmer for three years without any problems. I even extended this nopic to programe pic16f72, pic 16f877A. I am using winpicpr and oshonpic programmer v 1.7. :)

Don't bother with the 84, it's been obselete for years - the 628 was it's modern replacement, use that instead - a far better chip, for less money!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back