Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

while(feet!=wet) { search(friendly="Linux", hardware="avr", software="kde desktop");}

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in going swimming. My stumbling blocks aren't worries about complexity but moreso about the large variety of options for MCUs and a seemingly distinct lack of *nix software for developing. Now mind you, I don't -need- a pretty interface to write code with. I tend to use a simple editor and plain gdb works very well for most of what I do. But I do like to have a pretty (GUI) set of tools that explain various options.

A year ago, finding a USB based JTAG product that was Linux friend was close to impossible. Now I have three quickly found options to evaluate and I am close to setting on the Flyswatter (**broken link removed**)

I have also installed Kontroller and a set of avr tools like avrdude etc. I'm still working on a toolchain because Gentoo's crossdev is a little broken right now. I prefer sticking with native distro tools for package management most of the time. It's also a 64bit platform which sometimes throws a monkey wrench into things.

All of this said, does anyone have suggestions and recommendations for anything related to playing with AVRs - Linux tools and software? JTAG/ICE hardware? RTFM isn't necessary, I've been doing that ;-)

My first project will be using some tiny13 chips I think, to do (a) servo control for D&D dungeon props, and (b) simulated flickering fire with orange/red LEDs for said props.

Last edited:
heheh, pardon me for losing a paragraph in my editing. i also have an arm9 SBC2410 i bought off a guy and would like to play with it. i have a parallel jtag board but the only software (so far) that likes to work with it is windows based and i'm a 100% linux house and none of my current computers have parallel ports.

ah, that makes a LOT of sense.

by the way, you can get cheap add on parallel I/O cards. Most Linux distros support them. Of course, if you are using laptops, nevermind...

yes, but why pay the money for a parallel card when USB is already onboard? it comes down to paying for a USB module to do jtag/isp or paying for a parallel card to use my existing (but limited) jtag board and get another board to do isp (or build) since i already have usb wired up to the desk, i prefer using a usb module =]

we're talking like $10 to give yourself more flexibility. Hey, it's your coin and your call.

By the way, a lot of motherboards actually have the port on headers on the board but not brought out on the back panel. It could be as simple as a cable and a connector.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back